Lot of talented youths are seriously seeking for the best movie and film schools, academies and institutes in Nigeria where the tutors have vast experience in the acting scene so as to register and get trained in acting, video directing, filmmaking, photography etc. in 2022.
Are you one of them?
Have you been considering a glorious career in acting and film making?
If YES, then this article is only what you need to read today.
Nollywood is one of the Nigerian biggest industries and had produced great talents over the years in terms of writers, producers, actors and actresses, videographers and so on.
The likes of Chico Ejiro, Emem Isong, Funke Akinyele, Uche Jombo, Saint Obi, Mercy Johnson, Chidi Mokeme, Richard Mofe Damijo, Genevieve Nnaji, Osita Iheme and Chinedu Ikedieze and so many talents are all Nollywood products.
Nollywood presence have become an avenue for many Nigerians to acquire their dream of working in the entertainment industry.
So, if you’re dreaming of becoming a star on television you need to attend a good film school well equipped with material and human resources to bring out your creativity.
Fortunately, a number of training academies and institutes are in Nigeria, targeting people who wish to discover their talents in film making.
Today in this article, you’ll learn actionable tips, guidelines and answers on:
- Best movie acting schools in Nigeria
- Christian drama and film schools in Nigeria
- Cinematography schools in Lagos
- Film academies in Lagos and their fees
- Film academies in Nigeria, courses and their fees
So, ensure to take your time and read to the end to know the best options and avoid making costly mistakes this year.
Top 11 Film & Movie Schools In Nigeria
These best movie and acting schools and institutions are present in several states across the country while majority of the popular ones are located in major industrial cities such as Lagos and Abuja.
11. Mainframe Film and Media Institute (MFMI)
Veteran Nigerian Filmmaker, Tunde Kelani, launched the Mainframe Film and Media Institute (MFMI) on his 68th birthday to serve the following purpose:
- To promote our rich cultural heritage and moral values both within the country and the outside world at large.
- To improve the standards of film production in Nigeria.
- To give technical support to other production houses both within and outside Nigeria.
The courses offered include Digital Photography and Cinematography, Post Production and Digital Imaging, Acting, and The Art of Directing.
Address: 16, Sehinde Callisto Crescent, Charity Bus Stop, Oshodi, Lagos
10. KingsCrew Film Academy
This academy has a vision to raise young and vibrant minds that will occupy helms of affair in the African entertainment industry and be able to compete with other production crew in the world.
Provided training curriculum help to increase student’s creativity and innovative mind that will include personal and group projects in production.
- Film Making
- 3D Animations
- Graphic Designs
Address: 7, Oyinlola Street, Akowonjo, Lagos
9. The Sword of Excellence Drama-Film University
This academy aims at:
- Raising and producing anointed-professionals to become unstoppable army for the Lord especially people with raw vision, inspiration and skills to be discovered, developed and explored for the furtherance of His Kingdom.
- Building and equipping dynamic drama/film ministries and groups professionally coupled with anointing that leads to life of integrity.
- Auditioning/Casting in Drama and Film Production
- Basics of Digital Editing
- Basics of Drama and Film Production
- Communications Skill
- Costume and Props
- Digital Cinematography and Lighting
- Effective Administrative Strategy in Drama/Film
- Life Time Management
- Music and Sound
- Practical and Special Video Presentation
- Production Design and Stage Management
- Stage and Film Technicalities
All courses are highly intensive, practical and supported by course notes-taking style, enabling participants to easily adapt the approaches for their own area of specialization as determined by the management.
8. Ai Multimedia Academy
Ai Multimedia Academy is established to provide technical training in the area of graphic design, animations, cinematography, computer aided design (CAD), digital editing, video editing, audio editing, motion graphics, visual effects (VFX), photography, video production, web design, web and mobile applications development and digital literacy/skill in Nigeria.
This academy provides blended learning model i.e., class room and free online training to students and each course will lead them towards a specific career path and skill certifications.
- Graphic Design and Publishing
- 3D Animations
- Video and Audio Editing
- Digital Marketing
- Motion Graphics and Visual Effects
- Web Design, Web Development and Programming
- Digital Publishing and Interactive Multimedia Design
- Digital Literacy and Office Applications
- Architectural and Interior Design
- Video Production and Live Streaming
Address: 10, Ijaiye Road, (beside Thermocool Showroom) Ogba, Lagos, Nigeria
7. Lufodo Academy of Performing Arts (LAPA)
Lufodo Academy of Performing Arts (LAPA), is an educational institution founded by Nollywood legends and couple, Olu Jacobs and Joke Silva, that aim in delivering world-class hands-on training in acting and performing arts disciplines geared towards producing accomplished creative professionals who will raise the standard of stage, TV and Film production in Nigeria
LAPA proudly offers a full time, 2-Year Conservatory Program at the end of which graduating students will be awarded a National Innovative Diploma in Performing and Media Arts.
The intensive and highly practical curriculum, culminating in a nationally-recognized certification, makes this academy an excellent fit for secondary-school leavers and budding industry practitioners seeking to pursue the craft of stage and screen acting to the highest professional standards.
Address: No. 7, Harmony Crescent, Lekki Penninsula II, Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
6. The Mount Zion Institute of Christian Drama
The Mount Zion Institute of Christian Drama is a spiritual defense academy that unifies and spiritually empowers drama ministers in other nations they go, by helping the drama ministers, after training, to stay united informing an association with same visions and goals in their various churches and cities.
Over 3000 students have graduated from the Mount Zion Institute of Christian Drama courses held in Nigeria, London, UK, Arlington, Dallas, Winnipeg, and Canada.
In Nigeria, the MZICD has impacted in the lives of many Drama Ministers, and the traces of its blessing can be found in many ministries and many churches.
Larger percentage of Christian movies makers and actors in Nigeria are alumni of Mount Zion Institute.
The institute recorded a great milestone in August 2020 when she affiliated with Ajayi Crowther University Oyo.
This gave the institute the awesome opportunity to offer Diploma and Bachelor of Arts in Performing Arts Christian Drama.
The Institute is located at Habitation of Faith (The Mount Zion Training and Retreat Centre), Ile-Ife, Osun State, Nigeria.
5. High Definition (HD) Film Academy
High-Definition Film Academy [HDFA] was established in 2011 to frontier quality and affordable film education for students around the world with a desire to pursue a career in acting or/and filmmaking.
High-Definition Film Academy [HDFA] offers an intensive, hands-on, total immersion approach to learning, by subjecting students to a rigorous schedule of classroom lectures, hands-on workshops and immediate experience.
Here, students are allowed to make trials and errors, make mistakes and get corrected, ask questions and get answers.
These and more are a few of the many things that makes HDFA unique.
- Intensive and practical approach to programs
- Learning by doing
- Conducive learning environment
- Access to a wide range of professional film equipment
- Access to A-list actors and Film industry practitioners
- Flexible program options
- On-the-job training (Earn paid roles on our film productions)
- Alumni production funding
These are the professional training and courses offered in this academy.
Location: 2nd Floor Showroom, Right Wing, 2XL Mall, by Zenith Bank, Gwarimpa, F.C.T – Abuja, Nigeria
4. Magnus Film Academy (MFA)
Magnus Film Academy (MFA) is a multimedia and the best film school in the South Eastern part of Nigeria located in Enugu, Enugu Sate.
MFA is custom built for filmmakers and creative individuals who are ready and willing to explore the opportunities in the media and film industry and become masters in the field.
Magnus Film Academy instructors are seasoned industry professionals with international experience who share with the students their knowledge and experience to prepare them to excel in the professional world of filmmaking and media practice.
The heavy production schedule imposed on each student means a lot more hands-on learning when compared to other film schools.
MFA offers the following multimedia and film production courses.
- 2D/3D Animation and Special Effect
- Cinematography (Photo + Video + Lighting)
- Computer Training and Graphics Design
- Directing/Film making
- Drone Piloting
- Live Streaming of Event
- Screen Writing
- Video Editing
Magnus Film Academy Tuition Fee is between ₦30,000 – ₦70,000 and Duration for the Training Course under this offer is 2 MONTHS.
Location: No. 26, 1st Avenue, off Damijah Road, Trans-Ekulu, Enugu State
3. PEFTI Film Institute
PEFTI Film Institute Limited was founded in 2004 by Wale Adenuga Productions, Nigeria’s Leading Private Film and Television Production Company, to provide opportunities for newcomers and seasoned professionals to gain professional training in the fields of film, television, and music production.
- Acting and Presentation
- Costume and Makeup
- Digital Film-making: Cinematography (Camera +Light +Sound)
- Digital Film-making: Editing
- Digital Photography (Photography + Picture Editing)
- Music Studio Production
- Producing and Production Management
- Script – Writing (Radio, Stage and Screen)
- Set Design
PEFTI Film Institute is located in 5/6 Joy Avenue, by UBA Bank, off Osolo way, Ajao Estate, Isolo, P.O.Box 4325, Oshodi, Lagos State.
2. Royal Art Academy
Royal Arts Academy, one of the most highly-rated film academies in Nigeria was established in July 2010 by Emem Isong to help in nurturing talent and skills, specifically in acting, directing, editing and screenwriting.
In July 2016, Royal Arts Academy was accredited by the National Board of Technical Education (NBTE).
With each succeeding session, students poured in increasing numbers from all areas in Nigeria, South Africa, Cameroon, Liberia, Kenya, Dubai and Mozambique.
The students of this programme may proceed after this to polytechnics or universities for higher education.
Alumni of the institution such as Theresa Edem, Ijeoma Agu, Lota Chukwu, Bunmi Ajakaiye, Etinosa Idemudia, May Owen, Debby Felix and Emem Ufot, etc. began to gain ground and prominence in Nollywood, using the experience and knowledge gained to expand the canvas of the Nigerian entertainment industry.
Duration: 3 Months
- Lagos (₦123,500)
- Uyo (₦123,500)
- International Students ($491)
Address: 4, Adebisi Close, off Ogunlana Drive, Surulere 100001, Lagos
1. Del-York Creative Academy
The Del-York Creative Academy is Africa’s foremost capacity building institution for film, media, animation, technology, and marketing communications industry.
Certified by Nigeria’s National Board for Technical Education, Del-York Creative Academy has remained the best filmmaking and media studies institution since its founding in 2010 by Mr. Linus Idahosa, and has since attracted participants from across Africa and as far as Europe and the Americas.
This film and media school is pioneering the growth of the African Creative Industry, through its intensive hands-on training programs that provide a rich learning experience that empowers participants with the skills they need to lead successful, creative careers.
The academy has a mission to build a vocational bridge for students between academia and industry guaranteeing professional success while training and empowering a generation of exceptional talent that will move Africa forward through cinema, storytelling and media innovation.
- Acting For Film (On-Premise)
- Screenwriting For Film and TV (On-Premise)
- Cinematography and Set Lighting
- Film Editing
- Digital Content Creation and Social Media Influencing
- Public Relations and Media Communications
- 3D Animation
- Producing and The Business of Film-Making
- Fashion, Arts and Craft
- Music Video Production
- Intro To Theater Production
- Makeup and Special Effects
- Costume and Set Design
- Digital Marketing
- Colouring and Grading
- Sound Design and Scoring For Film
- Acting For FIlm (Online Course)
- Screenwriting For Film and TV (Online Course)
- Broadcast Journalism (Online Course)
- Producing and The Business of Film and TV (Online Course)
- Documentary Filmmaking (Online Course)
- Digital Filmmaking (Online Course)
- Digital Marketing (Online Course)
- Fashion, Art and Crafts (Online Course)
- Post-Production (Online Course)
- 3, Sapara Williams, Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria
- 117 East Colorado Blvd., Suite 600, Pasadena, California, USA
11 Best Film Academies in Nigeria
Here’s a quick recap of the best and most patronized movie acting and training schools in Nigeria.
- Del-York Creative Academy
- Royal Art Academy
- PEFTI Film Institute
- Magnus Film Academy (MFA)
- High Definition (HD) Film Academy
- The Mount Zion Institute of Christian Drama
- Lufodo Academy of Performing Arts (LAPA)
- Ai Multimedia Academy
- The Sword of Excellence Drama-Film University
- KingsCrew Film Academy
- Mainframe Film and Media Institute (MFMI)
These are major film academies you should consider to learn skills that will help you fit properly into the movie industry in Nigeria.
As you should have known, to get trained in a good film and cinematography school in Nigeria isn’t free, so budget money for your fees, accommodation, feeding, equipment’s etc.
It is necessary to opt for schools that can boast of the industry-standard training facilities to ensure you are getting quality value for your money.
Visit the official website of these film schools and institutes to make enquiries and get latest news and updates.
Beware of scammers that will be parading as agents and schools.
Finally, if you know any film school in Nigeria that is equally a good option or shouldn’t be in this list, please let us know in the comment section.
Tell us the film school and why it is excellent or bad for upcoming actors and actresses in Nigeria.
I wish you success.