Do you want to know about the NYSC exemption letter and certificate application, disadvantages, and pictures sample?
If YES, then this is the only post to read.
NYSC Exemption Letter
An NYSC exemption letter is a document issued by the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) to graduates who are exempt from participating in the one-year mandatory national service.
It is not proper to apply for an exemption certificate from NYSC.
Prospective corps members only have to present their credentials.
NYSC then determines if a graduate would be exempted or undergo the one-year programme.
So, register online like any other prospective corps member.
During online registration, NYSC will decide whether to exempt you or call you for service.
If you are exempted, NYSC will automatically re-direct you to a page online to print out your exemption slip.
NYSC Certificate of Exemption Requirements
Here are the requirements for the collection of NYSC certificate of exemption:
- You are over the age of thirty (30) years.
- You have served in the Armed Forces of the Federation or the Nigeria Police Force for a period of over nine months.
- You are a member of staff of the Nigerian Security Organization, State Security Service, National Intelligence Agency, or the Defence Intelligence Service.
- You have been conferred with any National Honour.
These categories of persons are therefore exempted from service and issued with the certificates of exemption.
Nigerian graduates either home or oversea trained who have the stipulated qualification of (B.SC, B.A or HND) from approved or accredited institution by (NUC, NTBE or NCCE) are eligible for exemption certificate however while foreign trained graduates must submit their certificates at the Mobilization Department for Evaluation.
How to Get a NYSC Exemption Letter
The process of collection of certificate of exemption includes:
1. Home Trained Graduates
- The process begins with the corps producing institutions.
- The tertiary institutions attended submits the master list of their graduates alongside with the senate approved result to NYSC.
- A print-out is processed by NYSC, classifying those to be called up for service and those to be exempted.
- This print-out is sent back to the institutions for verifications and corrections, after which they are returned to NYSC as an agreed/corrected document.
- With the printout, the certificates of exemption are produced, documented and sent back to the institutions for issuance to the persons.
Collection of the certificate of exemption for home trained graduates is only done in the Institution of graduation and not in the NYSC office.
2. Foreign Trained Graduates
- The process begins with the evaluation of credentials and other related documents, i.e. International passport.
- After the evaluation of credentials, the foreign trained graduate is then registered and this is physically done at the NYSC directorate headquarters, Abuja. It is at the point of registration that the classification of whom to be called up or who to be exempted is determined.
- Certificates of exemption are therefore produced for those exempted from service.
- Such certificates of exemption for foreign graduates are to be collected at the NYSC directorate headquarters at the stipulated time communicated.
Collection of certificate of exemption is grouped under the three batches of the service year, depending on the date of registration.
This equally would be communicated to exempted graduates at the point of registration.
Collection of certificate of exemption is strict with identification such as an international passport and the bearer must be physically present.
How to Apply for NYSC Exemption Letter Online
Here are the steps to register for and print the NYSC exemption letter online:
- Visit the NYSC portal.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page, click “Check Senate List or its equivalents” to confirm your details.
- Return to Homepage.
- Click on ‘Mobilization Batch.’
- Click on ‘Fresh Registration’, which will redirect you to the next page (initiate account creation).
- Fill in the required details and click on ‘Continue.’
- Verify your email address by clicking on the URL to confirm and continue with your NYSC account creation/registration.
- Fill in the required details, then click on ‘Submit and Continue’,
- You will be redirected to the Payment Page (choose your preferred payment options).
- Make payment, which is usually less than ₦3000, excluding cybercafé charges.
- Check your dashboard to know if it is available for immediate printing or check after some days for printing.
Disadvantages of NYSC Exemption Letter
Here are the disadvantages to having an NYSC exemption letter.
1. You may be ineligible for certain jobs or scholarships.
Some employers and scholarship providers require applicants to have an NYSC discharge certificate.
If you have an exemption letter, you may not be eligible for these opportunities.
2. You may not take part in certain government programs.
Some government programs, such as the Federal Government’s Graduate Internship Scheme, require applicants to have an NYSC discharge certificate.
If you have an exemption letter, you may not be eligible for these programs.
3. You may be stigmatized by some people.
There is a perception among some people that graduates with NYSC exemption letters are “lazy” or “unpatriotic.”
This can lead to discrimination in the workplace and in other areas of life.
Advantages of NYSC Exemption Letter
There are also some advantages to having an NYSC exemption letter.
If you have an exemption letter, you are not required to take part in the NYSC programme.
This gives you more freedom to pursue your own interests, such as starting your own business or traveling the world.
Also, the NYSC programme can be stressful, both physically and mentally.
If you have an exemption letter, you can avoid this stress and focus on other things.