A lot of Nigerians are actively searching online for Nigerian international passport application, requirements, cost, renewal fee and documents.
Are you one of them?
If YES, then this article is only what you need to read today to enlighten you on the right steps to take in getting your Nigerian passport fast.
A Nigerian passport is the passport issued to citizens of Nigeria. It enables the bearer to enter or re-enter Nigeria freely; travel to and from other countries under visa requirements; facilitates securing help from Nigerian consular officials abroad if necessary; and requests protection for the bearer while abroad.
The Nigerian international passport is not the same as the ECOWAS passport, which only grants travel entry into 15 West African states.
The Nigerian passport currently ranks on the 95th place according to the Guide Passport Ranking Index.
A Nigerian passport holder can enter 160 countries without a visa.
Nigeria has two types of passports namely: The 64 pages passport and the 32 pages passport.
The 64 pages passport was introduced for Nigerians who travel frequently especially when they exhaust their 32 pages.
Presently, the authority in charge of issuing the Nigerian passport is the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS).
Nigeria passport is available now and the Nigeria Immigration Services has made National Identity Number (NIN) compulsory as a means of identification for anyone that wants to apply for fresh or renewal of international passports in Nigeria.
It takes six weeks for a Nigerian passport to be ready after successful enrolment, and if anything changes applicants will be informed one week before collection date.
You cannot travel to Nigeria with an expired Nigerian passport, it has to be renewed.
The online application process is simple. If you are outside of Nigeria, you can apply online or at your nearest consulate.
To check if your international passport is ready in Nigeria, contact the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) online or visit their office nationwide.
How much is Nigeria International Passport?
Payment for your Nigerian international passport must be made online, in either naira or U.S. Dollars. Cash payments are not accepted.
NIS Passport Fee – Applying in Nigeria (Naira)
|Booklet Type||AGE 0 – 17||AGE 18 – 59||AGE 60+|
NIS Passport Fee – All Embassies, Consulates and High Commissions (US Dollar)
|Booklet Type||AGE 0 – 17||AGE 18 – 59||AGE 60+|
To apply for a new passport, the Nigerian Immigration Services (NIS) currently only issues electronic passports (e-passports) for new applications.
Ordinary citizens can apply for a Standard e-passport (green cover), while official e-passports (blue cover) are reserved for government officials and Nigerian diplomats.
What are the different Passport types and how do I know which one to select?
- Standard – This passport type is for the public.
- Diplomatic – This passport type is for protocol officers in government and ambassadors.
- Official – This passport type is for government officials.
- Seamans – This passport type is for sailors.
How much does it cost to renew Nigerian Passport?
The cost of renewing a Nigerian passport would be the same amount paid for a new one and same amount also goes for a lost passport.
Nigerian Passport Documents and Requirements
Here are the documents and requirements needed to apply for or renew your Nigerian passport:
- Completed passport application form
- Your payment slips
- Local Government letter of identification
- Birth certificate/age declaration
- 2 recent colour passport photographs
- Police report in case of lost passport
- Two recent passport sized photographs in white background
- Completed Guarantor’s form (with photocopy of data page of Guarantor’s Nigerian e-passport and one passport-size photograph of the Guarantor)
- Marriage certificate (if applicable)
- Name change affidavit (if applicable)
- Evidence of Nigerian citizenship of parent/s (for minors below 18 years of age)
- Letter of consent from both parents (valid court order if one parent is unavailable) – for minors below 18 years of age
- Submit application with supporting documents to the passport office/embassy/high commission
- Acknowledgment slip and payment receipt plus 2 recent photographs apply in all cases
- Print out copy of duly completed application form
- Take printed and signed application forms to Passport office/Embassy/High Commission for further processing
- A guarantor must attach Photocopy of Data page of Nigerian standard Passport and Driving License or National Identity Card
How Do I Apply for a Nigerian Passport?
Here are the steps to apply for a Nigerian passport:
- Visit Nigeria Immigration Portal.
- Locate and click on the application form to start the process.
- Select a passport type “Standard e-Passport” or “Official e-Passport”, then click on ‘Start Application’ button.
- Fill the Application form; check the ‘I ACCEPT FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THIS FORM’ check box then click the “PRINT” Button to print filled form.
- Click on ‘Submit Application’ button to view “Applicant’s Details” page.
- Click on “Proceed to Online Payment”.
- Click to select Payment Currency “Pay in Naira” or “Pay in Dollars” option then click on ‘Continue’ button.
- After payment via Bank or Card, the “Validation Number” is generated. Store it and use it to confirm the payment.
- You can also print a receipt by clicking the “Print the Receipt” button.
Using Your Validation Number
After payment, having got the “Validation Number”, proceed to the NIS portal for confirmation of payment:
- Go to the “Query your Application Payment Status” and enter your Passport Application ID and Reference No.
- If a “Validation Number” field appears, please enter the number from your ‘approved payment platform provider’ receipt. Remember: Validation Number has been generated after payment through Bank as well.
- Click the “Search Record” button and you will be sent to the “Applicant’s Details” page where a date for your interview has been generated.
- You can now print a NIS e-receipt or an Acknowledgement Slip (you will need them for your interview).
- Click on “Print” button to send a copy to the printer.
For Payment Outside of Nigeria
- If you select a processing country other than Nigeria, your payment will be in US Dollars.
- You will be re-directed to an approved payment platform to complete your application and make your payment in US Dollars.
- On confirmation of payment, proceed for interview with relevant documents. Please, note that your interview schedule, final e-receipt and acknowledgment slip are only accessible using your Validation Number.
- Print your NIS e-Receipt.
- Generate your Passport Guarantor’s Form.
If you’d prefer to submit your application through an agent in Nigeria, rather than online, please be aware that this process may take a lot longer.
Be careful which agents you work with to avoid getting caught in fraud scams and documents getting lost.
Even with an agent involved, you are still required to appear in person at the immigration office with your required documents.