Are you preparing for admission in your school of choice and want to pass Post UTME and score high this year?
If YES, then this article is only what you need to read today.
The basic process of gaining admission into most Nigerian Universities is by having a good O’Level result, write JAMB, go for Post UTME screening in your desired institution after you are scheduled, and expect to see what the outcome will be.
Of course, this process is not so easy as it may seem considering the Nigerian situation population-wise, politic wise and even economically.
The number of universities available to take students in is not enough to cater to the large number of applicants.
This insufficiency makes the process quite competitive, hence the need to do your best as possible in all the required exams for admission.
In this article, you’ll learn and get helpful answers today on:
- Post UTME registration, starting period, portal and latest news
- How to pass English, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology in Post UTME
- Syllabus, cut off mark and past questions online app download
- How to pass Post UTME successfully in one sitting
- DELSU and UNIPORT Post UTME past question and answers
- How to prepare and pass Post UTME in one week, two weeks, one month, two months
- Post UTME most repeated topics
- How to read and pass Post UTME
- Secret to score high in Post UTME
- Ways to pass Post UTME using past questions
- Secret, tricks and tips for Post UTME success
- How to pass Post UTME without stress
- Mistakes students make in Post UTME
- Post UTME lesson and online practice test
- Exam format, guideline and likely questions in Post UTME
- Post UTME area of concentration
Whether you are applying to study at IMSU, UNILAG, UNIZIK, UNIPORT, UNICAL, UNN, UI, OAU, FUTA, ABU Zaria, UNIBEN, LASU, DELSU, FUTO etc., I will really advise you to take your time to carefully read this post till the end to be updated because information is power.
Meanwhile, before I discuss the tips to pass Post UTME, I would like to explain what the exam is all about.
What is Post UTME?
Post UTME is one of the prerequisite examinations for students that wants to gain admission into any of the tertiary institutions in Nigeria.
Post UTME is a screening examination conducted after JAMB UTME by most tertiary institutions in Nigeria.
It is a method adopted to select qualified students for admission.
Not every school in Nigeria conduct the examination, but almost all the federal and state tertiary institutions in Nigeria conduct it before offering admission to aspirants.
In some universities, if you pass very well in the JAMB examination; but cannot pass very well in post UTME, you will not gain not admission; even if you were offered admission, it may not be into your desired course.
Post UTME gives a level playing ground for all students to prove to the school that they were the one that really wrote their WAEC and JAMB examination.
Requirements and Materials Needed for Post UTME Screening Exercise
- Choose the institution as the 1st choice in JAMB UTME.
- Candidates who chose the University as second choice and wish to be considered for admission can apply for the Screening Exercise ONLY when they have changed the University of as their First Choice.
- Have at least 5 credit passes at relevant subjects. Mathematics and English language are compulsory for some departments.
- Candidates MUST be sixteen (16) years of age or above, to be eligible for the exercise.
- Candidates are required to come with a clear copy of the Photo Card printed online and pen plus a photocopy of O’Level Examination Certificate(s) (WASSCE, GCE, NECO, NABTEB) and Birth Certificate or Affidavit of Age Declaration.
- Inconsistency in name or picture on registration slip is not acceptable to the University and may lead to disqualification of affected candidates.
- Candidates’ names on their O’Level Certificates, UTME Results and other registration documents must be the same.
- Mobile Phones, iPad, iPod, Walkman and similar gadgets or any extraneous materials will not be allowed into the screening venue and its environs.
- Candidates must apply within the registration period online and are not expected to be present physically on the University Campus, but advised to register from any location.
- Candidates must ensure that their O’Level results are uploaded to the JAMB website as soon as possible, as those who do not will not be considered for admission.
- Candidates must ensure that they register with their own valid personal telephone (GSM) numbers and email addresses.
- Candidates must report to the designated Screening Venues at the time scheduled on the Photo Card or risk disqualification.
Steps to Passing Post UTME Excellently
Here are the right steps to successfully pass Post UTME in one sitting:
1. Have Admission Vision This Year
You must have an optimized confidence level for you to pass your Post UTME once and for all.
There is time for everything. This is not a good time to be distracted by social media.
Believe in yourself that you can score high and gain admission in your school of choice this year.
Develop a positive mindset that you will not fail this year’s exam.
Positive ideology gives you positive energy.
You will study harder and beat the cut-off mark.
The only thing you should allow to bother you are things that would help you gain admission.
2. Understand Your School of Choice Post UTME Format
An excellent step in scoring high and passing your Post UTME is to know the correct examination format of your school of choice.
Most tertiary institutions in Nigeria have a different format for the Post UTME screening exercise.
Some schools may conduct aptitude test while others would request for certain documents.
It is very important to understand the type of exams you will sit for.
Know the questions you would tackle on the day of your examination to avoid premium tears.
Ask these vital questions before the exams:
- How are they setting the question?
- How many questions are I expected to answer?
- Is it essay type questions?
- Is it a multiple choice?
- Is it paper and pencil test?
- Is the exams computer based?
- What type of questions am I expecting?
This information will enable you to know how to prepare better for the upcoming examination.
3. Target a High Score
After understanding the type of examination you will take, your next step in passing Post UTME easily is to aim to score high.
Tell yourself, “I want to score very high in this year’s Post UTME.
You need to have a target in order to judge whether you are making improvements.
Setting a particular score you intend to get in Post UTME examination helps you in two ways:
- First, it makes you work hard so that you will reach the score you want.
- It helps to ensure that you don’t score very low in your examination.
4. Start Reading Early
Most students usually think that once they have written WAEC and JAMB examination and got excellent results, they have done the most important thing that is needed in gaining admission in Nigeria.
But this is not actually true.
If you wish to score very high in Post UTME, then you need to prepare as early as possible.
Although simple, Post UTME screening is not that easy, that is why you must start reading on time.
You must not make the mistake of reading a few days to your examination because you will not cover enough topics and areas of concentration if you do so.
5. Develop Effective Study Skills
Planning your study enables you to organize yourself, track your progress and is necessary for you to pass Post UTME this year.
Without a good study plan, you would not be able to score high in your examination.
You must know the best time for you to study, it could be at night or early hours of the day.
Ways to Develop Effective Study Skills
- You can decide to study different subjects daily or weekly.
- Check YouTube and Google to understand difficult topics.
- Discuss with other aspirants on topics in the syllabus.
- Do not check your WhatsApp or Facebook feed during study hours.
- Do not engage in social interactions during study hours.
- Drink water to stay active.
- Eat well before studying. Do not read on an empty stomach.
- Exercise daily to boost your brain function.
- Practice how to recall what you have read at the end of your study session.
- Read every page of your textbook with an understanding.
- Take brief breaks every 30-60 minutes.
- Test yourself with questions after your study schedule.
- Create a good study environment. You can create a safe space in your house or compound where you can study without distractions.
- Create a timetable. A timetable will help you cover up all you are supposed to read before your exam. It will give you the opportunity to maximize your time effectively, and to prepare aptly for your Post UTME.
- While creating your timetable, make sure you give more time to difficult subjects. Read them more often than any other subject.
- Ask about the recommend textbooks for post UTME in your dream school and read them properly.
- Make sure that while reading your past questions and materials, you can understand them. Do not just read and cram them.
- Never go to the library or anyplace else to study with your browsing phone. Leave your android device at home to avoid distractions from social media.
- Go with a torchlight phone to receive important calls.
- If you can overcome social media addiction, you’d do well in your exam.
6. Learn to Remember
It is not just enough to read, to pass Post UTME once and for all, you must learn to remember what you have read.
Study to remember and not to forget.
If you can remember all you have read, then success will smile on you.
7. Practice and Solve Your School Post UTME Past Questions
Post UTME Past Questions and Answers is an exam-planning tool.
It describes the course goals and explains each subject structure, exams, review sessions, and other activities required for candidates to learn the material.
Many schools repeat Post UTME past questions yearly.
Although most tertiary institutions usually repeat past questions word for word, it’s not advisable to cram the Post UTME past questions and answers because some are very wrong.
As you prepare for your upcoming exam, you must get a copy of the Post UTME past questions for your school of choice and test your capability.
For example, if you applied to study Law at UNILAG, then you get the past questions for UNILAG Law aspirants.
The importance of studying Post UTME past questions is that:
- It is a practice tool to improve efficiency and accuracy.
- It gives you information on the difficulty of the exam.
- It enables you to focus on the right things to study.
- It helps you detect your strength and weakness.
- You will know the pattern of questions you are going to face.
- You would get familiar with the exam format and it will give you a clue on how to enhance your study technique.
- You will get a hint of how their questions are structured and if you are smart enough, you will know which questions occur frequently.
How to Get Post UTME Past Questions
- You can get post UTME from your school of choice. It is necessary to inquire about the reliable question booklet for your school of choice.
- Check if there is a Post UTME question app for your school on Google Playstore.
- You can also get past Post UTME examinations questions from aspirants who have written the examination before you.
Finally, practicing JAMB past questions is also very important to pass Post UTME this year because some universities pick questions that have been asked in previous JAMB UTME.
8. Be Computer-Acquainted
Some tertiary institutions Post UTME will be computer-based and you must be prepared and ensure that you know all that is necessary about how to go about it if in case it is computer-based.
If you have any question during the computer-based exam, what you might just need to do is to raise your hand to call the attention of the officials.
Do not just assume anything if you do not fully understand what to do.
9. Learn to Solve Without a Calculator
They may not permit you to take calculators inside the examination hall.
So, to be on the safer side, it is important that you learn how to do certain level of calculations without using calculators.
10. Attend Classes and Tutorials
Attending lectures is very helpful.
If you find it difficult to be self-taught, then try to find out where they are organizing good tutorials for you to learn strategies or hints you need to know about your school Post UTME exam.
Meeting fellow aspirants will motivate you to pass Post UTME by all means.
You might even be lucky to attend a tutorial where you will be administered a mock exam.
Ensure that you do the mock exam and see how well you can do.
11. Eat Well and Stay Healthy
Staying healthy is vital for your physical and mental health.
Take good care of your body and always exercise because it helps you to have a retentive memory.
Eating vegetable, fruits and food rich in protein will help to enhance your body’s functions.
Try not to fall sick or get injured during your examination period to avoid missing your exam and coming back next year.
12. Learn Time Management
You are going to be graded base on the number of correct questions you can answer.
Limited admission spaces are available because they are thousands of people competing to study the same course with you and you must learn how to manage time when writing your exam to be among those that will be offered admission finally.
13. Correctly Register for Your Post UTME
Before thinking of passing or scoring high in Post UTME this year, you must first register for the exam.
During registration/application, ensure to input the correct information and submit the required documents.
Double-check the application before you submit your form to the school portal.
Visit or contact the University ICT to resolve your problem with your application.
Also, ensure you meet the deadline for the screening application so you won’t run helter-skelter when the application is unavailable.
14. Stay informed on Your School Post UTME News
Information is the light of the world.
If you are not informed, you will be deformed.
One factor that will make you succeed in your Post UTME is to be current about your school of choice.
As an aspirant, you must take time to gather as much correct information as possible.
Be updated and know:
- About the course you want to study
- Examination Date and Venue
- History and structure of the school
- The nature of question for the exam
- When the post UTME form is available
- When to print your Post UTME slip. The slip contains the date, time and venue for your exam.
During the period of Post UTME registration and preparation, a lot of updates will be released.
One way to get these updates is to visit your desired school official website and subscribe to the daily newsletter and also join Facebook groups created by your school’s students.
15. Know Your Exam Date and Arrive the Venue Early
Knowing your exam date and arriving at the venue early is mandatory and plays a vital role in succeeding in your examination.
After screening registration, schools would invite students for an aptitude test.
Check the official school website or Facebook to get vital information.
If you have to travel some distance for your Post UTME exam, then make the journey probably a day before so that it will not be that you are just travelling on the exam day.
Travelling earlier will help you be on the safer side just should in case anything unexpected comes up.
You should find a place close to the venue that you can sleep over before the day of the exam.
16. Have Good Examination Attitude
This exam is called an aptitude test and tests your common reasoning and knowledge.
Learning how to answer Post UTME questions would help you score high.
Post UTME exams are time-based, i.e., you have a limited amount of time to answer the questions.
- On the day of your exam, try to be calm and collected and go in with the right attitude.
- Read each question carefully and attempt your answer.
- Make sure you shade everything correctly if it is paper and pencil exams.
- If you are writing on a computer, make sure you read more about computer-based test to have a flair of the exam situation.
- Get yourself familiarized with past questions to avoid common exam mistakes.
- Make sure that you do not allow yourself to be too tensioned or pressured when you are to take the exam.
- You must never waste time on any question. Skip questions that are difficult for you to answer to save time.
- It is advisable to crosscheck the answers you have chosen. Never be in a hurry to submit your exam.
- Avoid any form of malpractice, prepare your best before the exam, do your best during the exam, and expect the best.
- Don’t wish failure for yourself because of the statistics of students. Perform well and beat the cut-off mark.
- Many students fail their exam because of failure to adhere to simple instructions. Listen to all instructions before the start of your examination. Endeavour that you adhere to each of the rules and regulations. Do not be cunning.
- Time yourself correctly and submit when you are told.
17. Check Your Post UTME Result
After your examination, your results will be out within 24 hours or in a few days’s time.
Do not be afraid to check your screening result.
Knowing your Post UTME score would help you determine your chances of gaining admission.
You will score high if you can stick with an effective study strategy I discussed above.
18. Calculate Your Total Score
Every school has a different formula for calculating the total admission score.
Some schools add JAMB and screening score and divide by two.
You can use the formula in calculating your total score using your JAMB and post UTME score.
19. Have Good O/Level Results
Sometimes, some institution might decide to have a screening exercise base on your O/Level and UTME score.
If your O’Level (WASSCE, GCE, NECO, NABTEB) results aren’t too good, it will affect your overall grade.
So, ensure that you have an O’Level result with good grade points.
If you have over one result, use the one with the best grades.
20. Be Prayerful
To prepare and pass your school’s Post UTME excellently this year, you must be prayerful.
No matter what religion you are in, if you really want to pass Post UTME this year, you must always pray for God’s help in your exam and your prayers will surely be answered.
Find time to pray daily for your exam, divine protection, safety, long-healthy life, prosperity and help from God.
Pray not to have general result problem with your centre, suffer for other students mistakes and crimes plus other unforeseen circumstances too.
What is the Difference Between JAMB and Post UTME Examination?
The Joint Admission Matriculation Board (JAMB) is a national examination body in Nigeria.
The board regulates admission processes in the various tertiary institutions in Nigeria.
Students must pass the JAMB exam for consideration for admission.
Post UTME is a screening test organized by most tertiary institutions in Nigeria to determine students suitable for admission.
Both JAMB and Post UTME score determine the eligibility of a student for admission.
Difference Between Screening and Post UTME
There is no difference between screening and Post UTME, but in some institutions, screening is an online application without an aptitude test.
Every school in Nigeria organizes Post UTME screening/registration, but some Universities or Polytechnic do not conduct the examination.
Is Post UTME Compulsory?
NO, Post UTME isn’t mandatory.
Post UTME is NOT compulsory for all schools, but if the school you applied for usually conducts Post UTME for intending applicants, then you must consider it to be compulsory for you.
How Many Subjects are written in Post UTME?
The nature of the exam is different for various tertiary institutions.
Post UTME questions usually comprise your UTME subject combination, current affairs, qualitative and quantitative reasoning, and most schools make mathematics compulsory for all.
Things to expect from Post UTME Use of the English Language in your school?
Use of English is expected to be 15 questions to 20.
These are the topics you need to study to do well in Use of English as questions come randomly from them.
- Lexis and Structures
- Oral English
- Question Tag
- Synonyms and Antonyms
What to Read for Post UTME?
You must read for your Post UTME using the JAMB syllabus and textbooks.
Do not read outside the subject area for your school of choice.
Also, practice past questions to test and identify your weak points.
Post UTME Syllabus
The post UTME syllabus is like the JAMB syllabus.
Study with JAMB syllabus for conventional subjects like mathematics, economics, biology, etc.
Ensure that you know the exam format for your first and second school of choice.
How Many Questions are there in Post UTME?
Post UTME format is dynamic, and institutions may decide to change their style.
Post UTME questions are between 50 to 100 exam questions depending on your school of choice.
UNN Post UTME questions are usually 60 while the University of Ibadan is 100 questions.
How to Check Post UTME Date
You can check the date for your Post UTME by visiting the school’s official website portal.
For example, if you applied for Law at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, visit the UNN website to know the date of your exam.
Best Post UTME CBT Practice App
Here is the list of the best post UTME CBT practice app to download on Google Playstore:
- All JAMB Post UTME Questions and Answers
- All Universities Post-UTME offline
- FUTO Post UTME Past Questions – Offline (Study App)
- G-Best DELSU Post UTME Offline
- JAMB and Post UTME Questions
- JAMB CBT + WAEC Past Questions by Myschool
- LAUTECH Post UTME
- My UNN Post UTME App by Allschool
- OAU Post UTME Questions Offline
- UI Post-UTME OFFLINE App
- UNIBEN Post UTME App
- UNILORIN Post UTME App
- UNIPORT Post UTME Past Questions
- UNIZIK Post UTME-Past Questions and Answers (Offline)
UNIBEN Post UTME Format
The UNIBEN Post UTME format is 50 questions for one hour.
You will answer twenty (20) questions in English. Fifteen (15) questions in biology and five (15) questions for the other subjects.
Applicants of Medicine and Surgery write five subjects – Mathematics, Biology, Use of English, Chemistry and Physics.
Can I Write Post UTME in Two Schools?
YES, you can write post UTME in two schools which include your first and second choice of institution, but whatever you do, make sure you don’t violate JAMB guidelines.
How to Pass UNILAG Post UTME Screening
To pass Post UTME examination you have to study relentlessly and smartly too.
Reading is the ultimate key to pass any examination in Nigeria, and that is what you must do.
If you do not read, just be prepared to fail because there is absolutely no way to cheat in Post UTME.
Screening Requirements and Qualifications into Schools That Don’t Write Post UTME
The following documents will screen candidates instead of writing exams.
- O’Level result slip or certificate. O’Level are your WAEC, NECO, GCE or NABTEB. In addition, it must not be in more than two sittings.
- JAMB result print out and registration slip.
- Birth certificate (from hospital, church, LGA or Court).
- Certificate of origin.
What should I do after my Post UTME or Screening?
Depending on your school of choice, Post UTME/Screening Exercise is one major issue all students should look at and work towards it.
Even if you score high in JAMB and your Post UTME is not up to the school’s cut-off mark, seriously, you can be denied admission.
What you have to do after writing your Post UTME is to upload your WAEC result in the JAMB portal so that the university you choose can easily see your WAEC result if it is fake or original.
If you are an aspirant of any institution, the tips and advice in this article will help you get a good score in your Post UTME this year.
Avoid any malpractice because you will most likely be caught and punished.
Hope you learnt from this article on how to pass Post UTME easily?
Share with your friends and don’t fail to leave a comment.
I wish you success in your examination.