HMO in Nigeria ▷ List of 5 Best and Cheapest Plans to Use
The health insurance industry has skyrocketed in recent times with the emergence of reliable HMO in Nigeria.
You, your friends and loved ones might want to skip getting health insurance, but this can be an expensive gamble.
Health insurance is both a savvy financial intelligence tool and one that gives the policyholder peace of mind – for self and family or friends.
Even if you or your loved ones rarely fall ill or go to hospitals, access to care needs to be secured if a sudden injury or medical emergency occurs.
There are over 20 HMOs operating presently in Nigeria.
A great way to show your loved ones you truly care is by encouraging them to get a HMO health plan.
This way they can access healthcare whenever they need it.
While being insured medically is essential, certain considerations should be considered finding the best health maintenance organizations for you, your family and employees.
As with most other ventures, some will perform exceedingly well, thus gaining recognition and the confidence of the public.
This article will highlight the HMOs in Nigeria that have been recognized as the best.
What are Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs)?
Health Maintenance Organizations are a network of healthcare providers, such as doctors, nurses, clinics, and hospitals that have agreed to lower their rates for plan members.
The HMOs are the drivers of the health insurance programme.
The National Health Insurance Scheme is the regulator, while the health care providers are the service providers.
HMO plans are prepaid and typically cover you for a year, so you have to renew them annually.
What’s great about HMOs is that you’ll get access to a wide network of healthcare providers.
You can visit hospitals or clinics in different locations as long as they belong to the network.
However, if you opt to see a healthcare professional outside of the network, your expenses might not be covered.
At an additional cost, you can have your dependents be part of your HMO plan as well.
HMO coverage often includes:
- Hospitalization (Inpatient/Outpatient Care)
- Emergency Services
- Laboratory Services
- Prescription Drugs
HMO plans are usually offered as part of an employer’s benefits package in private companies.
These health plans are comprehensive and customizable, but also cover a limited amount of your overall medical bill.
The coverage amount depends on the amount that an employer or individual is paying.
There are a few other points of consideration regarding HMO insurance plans:
- Many services require a referral or prior approval.
- If patients receive care from outside the network, services may not be covered.
- In most cases, prescription drugs are covered.
The purpose of a Health Maintenance Organization is to focus on overall patient wellness and preventive healthcare while keeping costs low for its members by only covering in-network physicians and facilities.
- HMO offer lower monthly premiums and out-of-pocket costs than other types of insurance plans.
- An HMO is especially affordable for people who only need basic medical care, such as annual checkups and immunizations.
- HMOs in just about every part of Nigeria have extensive networks of doctors, including specialists.
- HMOs often honor the networks of associated plans (such as plans run by the same insurance carrier in other states). Members who travel can call the plan to ask about in-network care on the road.
- There are no restrictions on the number of primary care visits.
- Drug costs are kept low (requiring only a small co-payment) and both generic and brand name drugs are available.
- Patients will only get insurance coverage if they visit an in-network physician and facility.
- If a primary care physician leaves the network, patients will need to change doctors.
- Patients must get a referral from their primary care physician before seeing a specialist (unless it’s an emergency).
Top 5 HMO in Nigeria
Here are 5 registered HMO that presently provide the best health insurance to Nigerians.
5. AXA Mansard HMO
With AXA Mansard HMO, you can get a health cover that suits your specific needs and enjoy access to quality healthcare and superior service delivery.
With a wide range of carefully selected hospitals nationwide, hospital pre-booking service and a 24/7 customer contact centre – you, your loved ones and employees are covered.
|Retail||Fit your needs and budget at every stage in life.||₦50,000/yr|
|EasyCare||Perfect for just you and your loved ones.
Enjoy inpatient, outpatient, specialist consultation, investigations, surgeries (up to a limit), and dental care.
|Corporate||Health plan for groups of 30 and above.
Group/Employee Health Plans, International Health Plans or Third-Party Administrator Plans.
|Request a quote.|
- Plot 1412, Ahmadu Bello Way, Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria
- *987# (USSD Code)
4. Avon HMO
Avon HMO is one of Nigeria’s most trusted HMO since 2013.
Avon HMO’s task is to ensure that Nigerians from all walks of life have access to adequate and effective health care services when they need it, without financial constraints becoming a life-threatening hindrance or obstacle.
The company was duly registered by the regulatory authority (NHIS) to operate as a national HMO in October 2012, but began operations in 2013.
Whether you’re an individual, a family, an association or corporate organization, health plans have been created to give you access to quality healthcare services whenever you need it.
Once you are subscribed to the health plans and you fall ill, suffer an accident or are diagnosed with a health condition, Avon HMO steps in to coordinate your care and pay the bills; ensuring and overseeing the delivery of quality healthcare services that will enable you to get better.
On-site health risk assessment, occupational health management and employee well-being services are also offered, which goes a long way in maintaining a healthy and productive workforce.
Why Choose Avon?
- 100% focus on preventive care and wellness
- Robust provider network
- Extensive range of health plans
- Dedication to quality assurance
- Responsive customer care
|Individual||Solo health plans that fit your needs and budget at every stage in life.||₦25,000/yr|
|Couple||Perfect for just you and your partner.||₦73,360/yr|
|Family||Covers you, your partner and up to four children.||₦202,000/yr|
|SME, Cooperative and Small Groups||Health plan for up to 29 people.||Request a quote.|
|Companies, Associations and Large Groups||Health plan for groups of 30 and above.||Request a quote.|
|International Plans||Top grade global healthcare||Request a quote.|
- 2nd Floor, Afriland Towers, 97/101 Broad Street, Lagos Island, Lagos
- Hajjar’s Place, Plot 1349, Ahmadu Bello Way, Garki II, Abuja FCT
- UBA Building, 14 Azikiwe Road, Port Harcourt, Rivers State
- UBA Building, 15 Okpara Avenue, Enugu, Enugu State
- 0700 277 9800
3. AIICO Multishield Limited
A leading health maintenance organization established in 1963, AIICO Multishield Plc is a financial services group with market-leading positions in its key business lines: insurance, pensions management, health maintenance and asset management.
AIICO’s mission is to promote qualitative and affordable healthcare services using the best technology, processes, and people.
Here, value is delivered through quality health services managed by highly motivated and well-rewarded healthcare professionals.
- 322, Ikorodu Road, Anthony Bus Stop, Anthony Village, Lagos
- 01-2930823, 08056744353, 08160000774
2. Hygeia HMO
Hygeia HMO offers comprehensive health insurance services to individuals and families, as well as SMEs and large corporate organizations.
Hygeia HMO continues to define and set new standards for health maintenance services in Nigeria and Africa, deploying global best practices.
The company is focused on improving healthcare in Nigeria by constantly adapting to the ever-changing and complex needs of its members and clients.
So, whatever your healthcare needs are, they are plans that suit you.
Hygeia HMO network has healthcare professionals from primary care providers like general practitioners (GPs) to secondary care specialists like dentists, physiotherapists, pediatricians, ophthalmologists and E.N.T practitioners.
Some providers may provide both primary and secondary care services.
- Personal and Family
- Small Business
- 6th Floor, Elephant House. 214, Broad Street, Lagos Island
- 0700 HYGEIA HMO (0700- 494342- 466)
1. Reliance HMO
Reliance HMO is the best health insurance company in Nigeria that uses software, data science and telemedicine to make health insurance delightful, affordable and easier to access.
The company is focused on giving you the best customer service.
This means they will do anything and everything to make sure you enjoy using your health insurance anytime and everywhere.
(a) For You and Your Family
- Affordable health insurance for individuals and families.
- Pay monthly, quarterly or annually.
- 24/7 customer care and zero wait times. You can always contact at any time of the day, every day of the week.
- Health benefits get increased every quarter, and the price remains constant.
- With over 1,500 hospitals across Nigeria as partners, this means no matter where you are, you can get access to good quality healthcare.
- If you stay healthy, you’ll get paid back 20% of your annual payment.
(b) For Your Parents
- Affordable health insurance for older parents, senior citizens or anyone battling with pre-existing conditions like hypertension, diabetes, arthritis, and peptic ulcer.
- Pay monthly, quarterly or annually.
- You can always rely on the HMO to be reachable by your parents or the hospital, 24 hours a day.
- There’s no need for elderly ones to stress to get their medications. They get it delivered immediately on request.
- Health coaches ensure your parents are in good health so you can have peace of mind.
(c) For Business
- Affordable health insurance for corporates and SMES.
- Your employees will be happier and healthier with this health insurance plan.
- Sign up your entire company in minutes with zero stress.
- Hospitals across Nigeria will treat your employees like royalty because their claims are paid in under 48 hours without owing.
- You can always rely on the HMO to be reachable by your employees or the hospital, 24 hours a day.
- If you have over 10 employees, you’ll get a Key Account Manager for every request you have.
||₦3,500 per person per month|
||₦6,000 per person per month|
||₦13,500 per person per month|
How it Works
- Choose between the monthly, quarterly or yearly payment periods and select any of the health insurance plans that fit your needs.
- Enter your details and pay online with your card. It’s very simple.
- After paying, watch out for the series of emails you’ll get from your No. 1 HMO in Nigeria, explaining how to use your health plans to stay healthy.
- 32, Lanre Awolokun Street, Gbagada, Lagos, Nigeria.
- 070073542623, 017001580 (WhatsApp)
5 Best HMO in Nigeria
This is the list of top HMO in Nigeria to join today:
- Reliance HMO
- Hygeia HMO
- AIICO Multishield Limited
- AXA Mansard HMO
- Avon HMO
Best HMO in Nigeria?
The best HMO in Nigeria to pay and get health insurance today is Reliance HMO.
Hygeia HMO is the closest competition.
Choosing the right HMO in Nigeria can be difficult because of the various competing options available in the market.
That’s why this post was written for you.
With the right HMO, you can protect yourself, your family, and employees against medical emergencies.
HMOs add to the quality of life of their clients because they maintain close contact with them.
At the slightest sign of discomfort or illness, customers can just walk into the premises of their HMO without having to first calculate the potential cost of the treatment.
By so doing, they maintain good health, enjoy work and family time.
I spent several hours researching each HMO on this list, so you can trust the integrity of the content.
Hope you enjoyed this article?
If you know any HMO that is equally a good option or shouldn’t be on this list, please let us know in the comment section.