Do you want to know the list of ingredients and recipe on how to cook vegetable soup with egusi, pounded yam, tomatoes, ugu and waterleaf?
If YES, then this is the only post to read today.
As vegetable soup is an essential part of a meal in all parts of Nigeria, different ethnicities developed many diverse ways of cooking it.
Vegetable soup can be eaten with any swallow in Nigeria and is served as either breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Vegetable Soup Ingredients
Here is the list of ingredients for the vegetable soup:
- Big bowl of water leaves
- Big bowl of pumpkin leaves
- Roasted mackerel
- 1kg of goat meat
- A cup of crayfish
- 6 scotch bonnet peppers
- 400ml of palm oil
- 2 seasoning cubes
- Cow Skin Meat (Kpomo)
- Locust beans (optional)
- Onion (optional)
How to Cook Vegetable Soup
Here are the steps to prepare vegetable soup:
- Carefully rinse the pumpkin leaves and water leaves about three times to make sure there is no sand left.
- Chop the water leaves and pumpkin leaves with a knife. Make sure they are cut as thinly as possible.
- Rinse the roasted fish with water, extract the center bone, and break to smaller bits.
- Season the goat meat with a teaspoon of salt, cut onions, and two flavoring cubes.
- Leave the meat to boil, add two cups of water, and allow the meat to cook until it becomes delicate and easy to bite.
- Pound the scotch bonnet peppers and 1 cup of crayfish together.
- You could blend them if you do not want to go through the stress of pounding.
- Put away on a little plate.
- Add the washed, roasted fish to the boiling meat.
- Leave them to cook until the water dries up.
- Try not to leave it burn.
- Many people love to do without a lot of water in their vegetable soup; to accomplish that, heat the meat or fish till the water is practically dried.
- At the point when the meat is cooked, and the water is almost dried, add the palm oil.
- Add the vegetables, and the water leaves should be added in the pot before the pumpkin leaves.
- It may fill the pot; however, it will go down shortly as you keep on stirring with the spoon.
- You can add the leaves gradually, so it doesn’t fill the pot and becomes hard to mix.
- After you have added all the water leaves, permit it to stew for 2 to 4 minutes while you mix occasionally.
- Add the pounded crayfish and peppers.
- Mix all together and taste for salt; add salt as you would prefer.
- You don’t need an excess of salt.
- Add the ugu leaves as of now.
- Mix all together and permit the vegetable soup to stew for three minutes.
Edikang Ikong Soup Ingredients
Here is the list of ingredients for the Edikang Ikong soup:
- Cayenne pepper or ground pepper
- Goat meat
- Ground crayfish
- Palm oil
- Pumpkin leaves
- Seasoning cubes
- Smoked fish or dried fish
How to Cook Edikang Ikong Soup
Here are the steps to prepare Edikang Ikong soup:
- Wash and cut the goat meat into little pieces or your favored size.
- Put it into a pot and pour sufficient water to cover it.
- Add the cleaved onions, seasoning cubes, salt, and pepper.
- Boil till delicate, around 40 to 45 minutes ought to be sufficient.
- Take out the meat and leave the stock in the pot for the soup.
- While the goat meat is cooking, wash and chop the leaves.
- Pass on a sieve to dispose of abundant water while you set up the soup.
- Add only a bit of water to the stock in the pot.
- Add the shrimp, smoked catfish, meat and flavors.
- Boil for 15 to 20 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the waterleaf and pumpkin leaves.
- Mix and taste for salt.
- Pour in the palm oil.
- Stew for 10 mins on low intensity.
- Transfer onto a plate and serve with any swallow.
You can serve all vegetable soups in Nigeria with swallow, unripe cooked plantain or rice.
These are some swallows we have in Nigeria:
Anything could be eaten with this vegetable soup and taken as supper, breakfast or lunch in a Nigerian home.
Storage and Warming
You can store Edikang Ikong in the fridge for as long as five days and fourteen days in the refrigerator before it loses its taste.
- Put it on low intensity for 5 to 10 mins if from the fridge.
- Add a couple of drops of water so it doesn’t burn.
- If from the refrigerator, pass it on to defrost completely prior to warming it in the oven for a couple of moments.
- For best outcomes, use the prescribed green leaves to get the full nutritious and delightful taste from the soup.
- Spinach and kale would substitute pleasantly.
- On the off chance that you especially appreciate spicy food, you can make it a ton spicier by adding scotch bonnet pepper or more cayenne pepper.
- Using goat meat or any proteinous meat will work for this recipe.
- Assuming the soup turns out excessively watery, add more vegetables and stew on low intensity for 5 to 10 minutes.