White Soup (Afia Efere/Ofe Nsala) – Ingredients and Recipe
Do you want to know Calabar, Akwa Ibom, and Igbo white soup ingredients, recipe, types, preparation and how to cook in Nigeria with goat meat?
If YES, then this is the only post to read today.
As it is not commonly eaten, most people don’t know how to cook white soup in Nigeria.
Originating from the eastern and southern parts of Nigeria, respectively, the white soup is widely known for its lack of palm oil and peculiar white color.
In this recipe guide, we will explain to you how to cook the two slightly different white soup we have in Nigeria.
Types of White Soup
These are the two types of white soups:
- The Igbo version (Ofe Nsala)
- The Efik version (Afia Efere)
White Soup Ingredients (Ofe Nsala)
These are the ingredients for white soup preparation:
- 6 to 8 pieces of soft yam
- A teaspoon of uziza seeds
- A cup of sliced uziza leaves
- 2 medium-sized smoked fish
- 2 tablespoons of ogiri
- A handful of sliced utazi leaves
- 5 medium-sized catfish
- 4 tablespoons of crayfish
- 1 maggi
How to Cook White Soup (Ofe Nsala)
Here are the steps to prepare white soup (Ofe Nsala):
- In a medium-sized pot, boil your yam pieces and cook them till it becomes soft.
- Mash it with the help of a food processor or mortar and pestle to make a fine dough (pounded yam) and set it aside.
- Boil some water and add it to the bowl of your catfish is in.
- Allow it to sit for around 5 minutes for the slime to come out.
- Drain it and then scrap out the slime with a kitchen knife.
- Mix or blend your spices altogether (uziza seeds, ogiri and crayfish).
- Rinse and cut your Uziza and Utazi leaves and set them aside.
- In a pot on high to medium heat, add in your catfish, seasoning, crayfish, salt, and dry pepper.
- Add some water to the pot of fish.
- Bring it to a boil until the fish is almost well cooked and add in your pounded yam in small bits until it is dissolved into the soup.
- Add your spice mix, stir well to blend in, and leave to simmer for about 3 minutes gently.
- Taste for seasoning and add more if necessary.
- Afterward, add your utazi and uziza leaves in small amounts so that the leaves will not be more than the soup.
- Stir the soup gently and simmer for a few minutes and then take off the heat.
White Soup Ingredients (Afia Efere)
Afia Efere is a Nigerian soup famous among the Efik tribe; this soup can also be called white soup.
This is because of the absence of palm oil in it.
This soup recipe is an appetizing Efik white soup that is made using common ingredients like yam, chicken, and so on.
These are the ingredients for white soup (Afia Efere) preparation:
- 8 medium slices of chicken
- 2 to 4 smoked fish
- 2 to 3 slices of yam
- A medium onion
- 2 tablespoons of ground crayfish
- A teaspoon of African nutmeg
- A small piece of uyayak
- A tablespoon of dry pepper
- Seasoning cube
How to Cook White Soup (Afia Efere)
Here are the steps to prepare white soup (Afia Efere):
- In a pot, put in your slices of chicken or goat meat, and season with salt, seasonings, and chopped onions.
- Add some water to the level of the chicken and, on medium to high heat, bring to a boil until it becomes soft.
- In a different pot, boil your slices of yam till soft, pound to get a dough (pounded yam) which serves as the thickener, then set aside.
- You could use a food processor or mortar and pestle for this process.
- In the pot holding your chicken, add in your grounded crayfish, dry pepper, nutmeg, and uyayak.
- Leave to simmer gently for around 3 to 5 minutes, then taste for seasoning and add more if necessary.
- Add in your pounded yam in small bits and stir into the soup to thicken the texture. If you feel it is too thick, you can add more water.
- Bring the soup to a boil and stir.
- Leave the pounded yam to liquefy entirely into the soup and add in your fish.
- Lessen the heat and simmer gently for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Put off the heat and serve with any swallow of your choice.
There are so many diverse ways of cooking white soup in Nigeria, although most people have never heard of it or tasted it.
The Nigerian white soup is divided into two types, namely the Ofe Nsala white soup and the Afia Efere white soup.
These belong to the eastern and southern parts of Nigeria, respectively.
Although they are different, they are only slightly different and have a lot of ingredients in common.
Different thickeners can be used for preparing the soup, like cocoyam paste, ground oats, and mashed Irish potatoes.
Although the standard thickener is yam.
We hope you find this recipe guide helpful.
READ ⇒ How to Start Palm Oil Business in Nigeria and Earn ₦3m Monthly