Changing Course After Admission in Nigerian University 2024

Most students want to know how to change university course after getting first year admission in Nigeria, intra-university transfer, inter-university transfer, and requirements.

Changing university courses or departments after your first year is possible in Nigerian universities.

You can change from your current department to your dream course after your 100, 200, or 300 level.

Changing University Course in Nigeria 2024

Changing university courses after gaining admission can be a complex process filled with uncertainty.

There is no guarantee that your application to change departments will be successful, as many of your course mates and students from other departments may also vie for a transfer to their desired courses.

The competition for department change is fierce for professional courses like Medicine, Law, Pharmacy, Optometry, and Nursing.

To increase your chances of success, gather all the information and stay ahead of your competitors in every aspect.

Being well-informed about the application process, requirements, and deadlines is crucial.

Also, maintaining a strong academic record and meeting any specific prerequisites for your desired course will give you an advantage.

It is important to approach the process with dedication, thoroughness, and a proactive mindset to maximize your chances of a successful department change.

Intra-University Transfer

In Nigeria, an intra-university transfer, also known as an internal transfer or a change of course, refers to changing from one academic program or department to another within the same university or institution.

It allows students to change their field of study, degree program, or specialization without having to transfer to a unique institution.

The specific procedures and requirements for an intra-university transfer can vary among Nigerian universities, as each institution has its own policies and guidelines.

Here are the two types of intra-university transfer in Nigerian universities:

  • Change of Department – Changing department for another course within the same faculty.
  • Change of Faculty – Changing from a department in one faculty to another.

Changing from Political Science to Law is an example of inter-faculty transfer.

The change from Linguistics to Mass Communication is an example of intra-faculty transfer.

Inter-University Transfer

In Nigeria, an inter-university transfer refers to moving from one university to another while pursuing a degree program.

This transfer allows students to transfer their credits and continue their studies at another institution.

Inter-university transfers are not very common in Nigeria, and the policies and procedures for such transfers can vary among universities.

If you’re still in school and running a related course to nursing, you can cross using the transfer admission.

Transfer admission allows you to move from your present university at the 100, 200 or 300 level to another university.

This is possible among all private, state, and federal universities.

However, what works mostly is the transfer from state-owned or federal-owned universities to private ones.

With a private university, if you can afford it, your chance is broad if you want to be transferred.

With this, you can ask to be transferred and be admitted into nursing if you satisfy the proposed university’s conditions such as GPA, acceptable course, level to be admitted to, etc.

Requirements for Changing Course in Nigerian Universities

Here are the steps and requirements for changing courses in Nigerian universities:

1. Research and Planning

Begin by researching the academic programs or departments you are interested in transferring to within your university.

Look into the courses, prerequisites, and requirements for each program to ensure that you meet the criteria.

Consult with academic advisors or faculty members from the departments you’re considering gathering more information and guidance.

2. Review University Policies

Familiarize yourself with the policies and regulations of your university regarding internal transfers.

Check for information on eligibility criteria, application procedures, deadlines, required CGPA, and any specific requirements for the program you wish to transfer into.

Pay attention to any limitations or restrictions, such as limited capacity in certain programs.

3. Meet Academic Requirements

Most universities in Nigeria have certain academic requirements that must be met to be eligible for an internal transfer.

This typically includes achieving a minimum CGPA or grade threshold.

You may need to satisfy specific prerequisite course requirements or credit hour criteria for the new program.

Meeting these academic requirements is crucial for a successful transfer.

Your WAEC or NECO subject combination must be correct for the department you want to change.

For example, a student who wants to change to nursing after the first year must have a credit pass in the English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, and Biology.

4. Departmental Clearance

Departmental clearance is a requirement to transfer to another department.

The HOD of your current department would have to sign you out of the department before you can transfer to another course.

Find out the requirements or what you will need for your transfer application to be successful.

5. Apply for Change of Course

Nigerian universities typically have an internal transfer application process.

You will need to complete and submit an application form, which may include personal information, academic history, and reasons for transferring.

Some institutions may require additional materials, such as a statement of purpose, letters of recommendation, or a resume.

Adhere to all application deadlines and submit all required documents.

6. Decision and Notification

After you submit your application, the university will review it along with the supporting documents.

The transfer decision process may take some time, depending on the number of applicants and the institution’s internal procedures.

Once a decision has been made, you will be notified of the outcome through an official letter or an email.

7. Transition and Advising

If your transfer application is accepted, you will receive instructions on transitioning into your new program.

This may involve attending orientation sessions, meeting with academic advisors, and registering for courses specific to your new major.

Take advantage of the resources available to you to ensure a smooth transition and make the most of your new academic journey.

Does FUTO Offer Pharmacy?

Presently, the Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO) does not offer a Pharmacy program.

FUTO is primarily focused on science, engineering, and technology-related fields of study.

Courses That Allow Transfer to Medicine

Here is the list of courses that allow you to transfer to study medicine in Nigeria:

  • Anatomy
  • Biochemistry
  • Dentistry and Dental Surgery
  • Human Nutrition and Dietetics
  • Medical Laboratory Science
  • Microbiology
  • Ophthalmology
  • Optometry
  • Pharmacology
  • Physiology
  • Physiotherapy
  • Science Laboratory Technology (SLT)
  • Zoology

Courses That Allow Transfer to Nursing

In Nigeria, several courses can provide a pathway for transferring to a nursing program.

The specific requirements and procedures for transferring to a nursing program may vary among universities and nursing schools.

If you have a BSC in any of these courses, you can get a direct entry form into Nursing Science:

  • Biological Sciences
  • Health Education
  • Health Science
  • Human Anatomy
  • Medicine and Surgery
  • Nutrition and Dietetics
  • Pharmacy
  • Physiology and Hygiene
  • Physiotherapy
  • Psychology
  • Public Health

Can I Cross from SLT to Medicine and Surgery?

You can’t change your course from Science Laboratory Technology (SLT) to Medicine and Surgery via Direct Entry.

Universities in Nigeria don’t admit any diploma into the College of Medicine.

It is a regulation that universities should not admit any candidate from polytechnic into medicine.

You can only change from SLT to medicine through an intra-university transfer.

List of Universities That Accept Change of Institution

All universities, polytechnics and colleges of educations will accept new candidates through the JAMB change of institutions/courses form.

The acceptance of a change of institution requests may be subject to slots, program capacities, and specific admission criteria of the respective universities.

You cannot make use of mobile phones to carry out the process of a change of institution or course.

To carry out the process correctly, visit any JAMB office or their accredited center close to you.

There is no deadline to apply for a change of institution or courses as long as admission is still in progress.

Make proper research before you go for it.

How Many Times Can I Do Change of Institution?

You can do a change of course or institution ONLY twice.

By twice, it means:

  • Two changes of the institution(s) on a separate submission.
  • Two changes of course(s) on a separate submission.
  • One change of institution separately and one change of course separately.

JAMB counts one submission at a time.

If you change institutions only the first time and submit, that is one change.

If you change to another institution, that’s the second time.

In fact, changing all courses and institutions in just one submission is still counted as one time.

If you’ve experienced two submissions in the past – be it for institutions, courses, or both, you can still change again, i.e., third.

What matters is being ready to make another payment on each occasion.

So, do proper research before changing to an institution or course.

All you need to do after making a successful registration for a change of institution using the JAMB website is give it some time to update the changes.

JAMB will let you know if the school you’re looking to transfer to has shut down its website.

Once your request to change institutions is granted, the change will take effect right away.

Can a Part-Time Student Switch to Full Time?

To change from a part time to full-time student in a university or college of education in Nigeria, complete your studies and graduate as a part-time student.

The two options you’re left with are to complete the part-time programme or just abandon it, get another JAMB UTME and process full-time admission.

For the polytechnics, if you complete a programme such as ND on part-time, then you can cross to full-time HND.


You can change your departmental course, faculty, and institutions after your first year in school, but you will make use of the application for transfer.

You won’t have to go through the stress of sitting for another JAMB and Post-UTME examination.

Buying the JAMB form is the best alternative to apply for a change of course.

Peradventure, you failed with your change of course application or JAMB.

You can finish your undergraduate studies and then apply for direct entry.

Application for direct entry is after your first-degree program.

You can change your course after the 200 level and 300 level.

For the 300 level, you would have to step down to the 200 level.

Some departments would step you down to the 100 level from the 200 level.

It depends on the policy of the department.

Good luck.

READ ⇒ Cheapest Business to Start from Home in Nigeria (Earn ₦50k)

Show More

Saint Chinedu

My GOAL is to equip you with the right strategy and working information to improve your academic performance, financial situation, and health this month.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button