Do you want to know the courses offered in the school of nursing in Nigeria?
If YES, then this is the only post to read.
Nursing schools typically offer a variety of courses that provide students with the knowledge and skills needed to become competent and compassionate healthcare professionals.
Courses Offered in the School of Nursing in Nigeria
Here is the list of nursing science courses in Nigeria:
- A Study Guide for the Distance Learner
- Basic Nutrition in Nursing
- Basic Parasitology
- Basic Principles of Chemistry
- Biostatistics in Health Technology
- Business Creation and Growth
- Business Development and Management
- Cardiovascular and Respiratory System
- Cellular and General Pathology
- Client Teaching/Counselling Practicum
- Clinical Pharmacology and Chemotherapy
- Clinical Posting/Experience
- Community Health Nursing
- Computers Fundamentals
- Concept and Strategies in Public-Community Health
- Consolidated Clinical/Community Postings End
- Curriculum Development in Nursing and Teaching- Learning Methods
- Developmental Psychology as Applied to Nursing
- Element of Political Science
- Endocrinology and Reproduction
- Entrepreneurship in Nursing
- Family Health Nursing
- Foundation of Professional Nursing Practice
- Foundations of Nursing
- Fundamentals of Nursing Informatics
- Fundamentals of Peace Studies and Conflict Resolution
- Gastrointestinal Tract (GIT) and Renal
- General Biology
- General Biology (Practical)
- General Embryology
- General Histology and Cytology
- General Mathematics
- General Physics for Life Sciences
- Genetics for Medical Students
- Gerontology/Geriatric Nursing
- Gross Human Anatomy
- Guidance and Counselling in Nursing
- Head and Neck
- Health Economics
- Health-Related Professions
- Human Anatomy
- Human Behaviour in Health and Illness
- Human Physiology
- Intensive Care Nursing
- Introduction to Biostatistics
- Introduction to Entrepreneurship
- Introduction to Environmental Health
- Introduction to Health Economics
- Introduction to Human Biochemistry
- Introduction to Medical Microbiology
- Introduction to Nursing Education
- Introduction to Philosophy and Logic
- Introduction to Sociology
- Leadership and Management in Health and Nursing Care
- Maternal and Child Health
- Maternal and Child Health (Abnormal Midwifery)
- Maternal and Child Health Nursing
- Maternal and Child Health Nursing Clinical
- Maternal and Child Health Nursing Practicum
- Medical Biochemistry
- Medical Jurisprudence
- Medical Microbiology and Parasitology
- Medical Surgical Nursing
- Medical Surgical Nursing Practicum
- Mental Health and Psychiatric Nursing
- Monitoring and Evaluation of Health Programmes and Services
- Nigerian People and Culture
- Nursing Administration and Management Practicum
- Nursing Ethics and Jurisprudence
- Nursing Specialty Clinical Practicum
- Nutrition in Health and Disease
- Occupational Health Nursing
- Oncology Nursing
- Ophthalmology Nursing
- Ortho-Rhino-Laryngology (ENT)
- Pediatric Nursing
- Pharmacology for Nurses
- Physical and Health Assessment
- Practical Physics
- Principles of Epidemiology
- Principles of Management and Administration in Nursing
- Principles of Psycho-Social Nursing
- Psychology in Nursing
- Public Relations in Nursing
- Public-Community Health Nursing
- Public-Community Health Practicum
- Reproductive Health Nursing
- Research Methods and Seminar Writing
- Research Project
- Seminar in Nursing
- Sociology in Health Practice
- Use of English and Communication Skill
- Use of Library
These are just some examples of the courses typically offered in nursing schools.
The curriculum may vary depending on the level of nursing education (e.g., diploma, bachelor’s degree, master’s degree) and the specific focus of the nursing program.
It’s always a good idea to consult the curriculum of the nursing school you are interested in getting a detailed overview of the courses they offer.
Nursing Related Courses
In Nigeria, there are several courses related to nursing and healthcare that you can pursue to enhance your knowledge and skills in the field.
Here is the list of courses related to nursing in Nigeria:
1. Bachelor of Nursing Science (BNSc)
This is the primary undergraduate degree program for nursing in Nigeria.
It provides comprehensive education in nursing theory, clinical skills, research, and leadership.
2. Post-Basic Nursing Programs
These are specialized nursing programs designed for registered nurses (RNs) who want to further develop their expertise in specific areas of nursing.
Examples include Post-Basic Midwifery, Post-Basic Perioperative Nursing, Post-Basic Psychiatric Nursing, etc.
3. Master of Science in Nursing (MScN)
This is a postgraduate degree program that allows nurses to deepen their knowledge of specific nursing specialties and gain advanced skills in research, leadership, and administration.
4. Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Nursing
This is a research-focused doctoral program that prepares nurses for academic and research careers.
It involves in-depth research and the production of a dissertation.
5. Diploma in Nursing
This program is suitable for individuals who want to become Registered Nurses (RN) but do not have a background in nursing.
It provides foundational knowledge and skills in nursing practice.
6. Certificate Programs
There are various certificate programs available that offer specialized training in areas such as Community Health Nursing, Geriatric Nursing, Pediatric Nursing, etc.
These programs aim to enhance skills in specific nursing areas.
7. Continuing Education and Professional Development
Many workshops, seminars, and short-term courses are conducted by nursing associations, hospitals, and healthcare institutions to provide ongoing education and professional development opportunities for nurses.
These courses cover a wide range of topics and can help nurses stay updated with the latest advancements in nursing practice.