Abroad School Fees ▷ The Right Ways to Pay from Nigeria
Do you want to know how to pay school fees abroad from Nigeria using CBN Form A and other means?
If YES, then this is the only post to read today.
How to Pay School Fees Abroad from Nigeria
These are the best ways to pay school fees abroad from Nigeria:
1. Form A
Form A is an application form designed by Central Bank of Nigeria to pay for service transactions (invisible trade) that allows customers to make payment for services such as school fees, technical fees, dividends, airline tickets, loans repayment, judgment debt, personal home remittance, PTA, BTA, etc.
Payment is through telegraphic transfer.
Each payment type has its specific document requirement as stipulated in the Central Bank of Nigeria FX Manual.
With Form A, you get forex at the official government exchange rate, which will save you money as compared to using the black market.
As an international student, you can use Form A to request for upkeep and have money transferred from your Nigerian bank account to your foreign bank account at the government official exchange rate.
Form A for School Fees Requirement
Here is the list of documents required to process school fees payment abroad through Form A:
- School admission letter and/or invoice stating the current fees to be paid.
- Bank account details of the school.
- A signed written instruction giving the bank the authority to debit your account.
- A duly completed Form A application form.
- A duly filled letter of indemnity if the name of the applicant differs from the name of the student.
- BVN and a valid means of ID of the applicant (Nigerian International Passport or Foreign passport with Nigeria as the place of birth, Driver’s License, Voter’s Card, National Identity Card).
- International data page of the student.
- First-degree certificate (for postgraduate students).
- You must be an account holder of the bank.
- Your account must be funded to cover the Naira equivalent of the requested amount.
To apply for FX to pay school fees abroad, visit any bank branch in Nigeria with the above documents.
How to Use Form A to Pay School Fees
Here are the steps to use Form A to pay school fees abroad:
- Login into the TRMS applicant portal.
- At the Trade Services TAB, click on Education Fees.
- Fill all the required fields properly.
- Attach Documents requested on the document Tab. Documents can be in the PDF/JPG/PNG/TIFF form and should not be over 1.99mb.
- Preview your form before submission by clicking on the preview tab at the top right of the page or NEXT at the bottom on the Page.
- An email will be sent notifying you that your application is being processed.
- When filling the Form A in beneficiary information – provide details of the organization receiving the foreign exchange.
- If you’re trying to register on the site for Form A by entering your BVN and it says OTP has been sent to your mail – check your mail inbox, promotion, junk and spam folder.
- After getting approval via the trade system portal, payment of school fees to your school abroad takes around 1-2 weeks.
- After filling the form finish, you will receive an email with the AF-number in it when you submit the application.
- If you filled the Form A already and it has the status: disbursement supervision, with a note under it saying rejected insufficient fund, please start a new application. Ask your bank for their exchange rate, which is at about ₦462/$ currently (est./confirm) and fund your account sufficiently.
- To get the AF number, you will send to your bank after filling and submitting the Form A online. Just login, go to Form A and select history.
- If no branch is shown under your processing bank, clear your cookies and try again.
- In the payment mode section, select Telex or Swift.
- Telex is usually ready 24 hours after the transaction has been completed.
- Once your account equivalent is debited, the telex will be made available by your bank once the fund is completely transmitted. So, keep contacting your bank for the telex.
- Apart from the initial declaration payment of ₦5,000 for Form A, if you’re paying school fees/medicals, you will still have to pay the transfer charges.
- If FX is not available in the bank of request, cases can last up to 2 weeks.
- You can pay your tuition fee through the TRMS portal if you’re currently in the UK, the US, or Canada.
- If your school’s payment is online (no bank details), you can still make use of Form A. Just contact your school to provide their IBAN or account number.
- After following the procedure and still yet to be debited and your stage still shows ABD_REVIEWER, it means the first level reviewer has not opened the application. Continue to follow up the bank with your AF-number, while also emphasizing on your deadlines.
- If you submitted the E Form A and it’s been showing ADB Reviewer for days, you can cancel and create an application with another bank that has FX.
- In case you fill out Form A and later saw feedback stating that you need to attach your school invoice, if it was rejected, start a fresh application. If it wasn’t, just upload the outstanding document.
- If status reads: recommended for rejection (incomplete documentation), create a new application, and follow up with your bank.
- After being debited in Naira, and your university hasn’t yet received the funds, you can request for a telex copy of the transaction and forward it to the school as evidence of payment.
- If you decide to end the payment process, and are not interested in your school admission anymore, get your school to issue a refund.
- Banks rate for foreign school fees differs and how fast they will transfer the money depends on the volume of the money they have to transfer and their services.
- The maximum limit of forex you can buy for school fees abroad per semester is USD $15,000 or its equivalent in Pound Sterling or Euro and the fees will be paid directly to the institution’s account.
- Be a customer of most of the Nigerian banks to make school fees payments to institutions abroad.
2. Domiciliary Account
A domiciliary account is basically an account that holds foreign currencies while you are in Nigeria.
This method is normally more expensive than Form A because of BDC rates.
If time is against you and you need your school to get tuition fee payment within a day or two, using a domiciliary account is your best bet to pay your school fees abroad from Nigeria.
Using this method, the school abroad receives your payment within 1 to 3 business days.
Here, open a domiciliary account in Nigeria or use that of someone you know to make the payment for your school fees.
If you already have an existing domiciliary account, all you need to do is:
- Fund your account with the amount that will cater to your school’s fees and banking charges.
- Present to your bank the admission letter from the foreign tertiary institution.
- Get Form A to fill in the details.
- The account will be debited.
You can either complete the transaction from the comfort of your home using your bank mobile app, internet banking, or by visiting a bank branch to start the transaction.
You need to have extra money on your domiciliary account for bank transfer charges.
The bank charges include a telex transfer charge (optional but necessary), offshore charges and £10 if the correspondence bank needs to deduct.
Also, for transferring monthly upkeep for international students, parents, sponsors and guardians could make transfers from their personal domiciliary account.
3. Payment Agents
Paying your school fees abroad from Nigeria using local and international agent is also recommended.
If your preferred institution fixes a deadline on their tuition fee, use a payment method with fast processing rates.
This will save you from losing your admission because of late payment.
Although cheaper and secured, using Form A to pay for tuition fees abroad from Nigeria can be time-consuming, while the domiciliary account is more costly.
However, if you are having a delay in making payment via Form A for your school fees abroad, then try using a legit payment agent in or outside Nigeria.
You will be charged at a lower rate too.
Hope you learnt a lot from this article.
Now go sort out those tuition fees so you can get your final acceptance documents in Canada, the UK, USA, etc.
If you have questions, comment below.
I wish you academic success.
pls what can i do i apply on FORM A since two weeks now and is still on ABDreview and i just have two day more to my school dead line .pls what can i do
Can my aunt help me with the payment but our surnames are different
Good Day Siwes Beginner,
I was reading in your page the processes of paying school fees in Abroad, I must commend the good work you’re doing.
I have a pending case. I’ve done Form A Application for my brother’s tuition fee, and it’s 2weeks now, yet I’ve not been debited. The application has been in ABD_reviewer stage for 2weeks. Now my questions are:
1. When will the 5k for the form A Application be deducted from my bank? Do I need to go to my bank to pay it before the main money is deducted alongside other charges?
2. During the application, I selected Electronic Transmission instead of Swift or Telex, would that affect the application approval?
Thanks. Will be waiting for your response.
Good day sir
My form was rejected because it was not funded
Now I have fund my account
What do I do?
I have challenge in getting OTP after inputting my BVN into form A. I checked Junk, spam, inbox etc, what could be the challenge?
This write up was useful. Thank you
WHAT IF THE SCHOOL DOESNT GIVE ME AN INVOICE BUT I HAVE BANK DETAILS AND IBAN..CAN I PROCEED TO FILLFORM A?
Thanks for educating me on this. I filled the form a, and I have been given an AFnunber of which it has been submitted to my bank but am yet to be debited and its 3weeks now.
My questions are
1. how do I send money to a brother in UK for his upkeep allowance using form A?..I want him to receive it in his student’s account.
2. A friend processed form A, though it’s already at disbursement stage for like 5 days now? While he was filling the form A online he selected option “No” for “available for Forex?” .
what happens when i use my almost expired passport number and later i want to use the new passport number?
Good day sir, thanks so much. Pleas my Form A application was recommended for rejection and rejected due to incomplete documents but I was given a space to attach the document and I re-submitted the application after attaching the documents. Please is this okay? Or I need to start the whole process again?
Contact the customer service unit of your bank.
During the filling e Form A. I was asked mode of payment, I selected Electronic transmission instead of Telex or Swift. Hope this won’t affect my application approval now.
God Bless you for taking your time to educate Nigerians on this very important topic.
I fill in the A form online going to a week now,and I have not heard anything from the bank,I have a dead line for me to pay my school fee,pls was your advice?
Good day mr Paul please is it possible to pay through some one else’s domicilliary account?
Thanks for this great information.
Pls is it possible to change from one Bank to another after my Form A has been approved?
I initiated September and got approval on Oct 5, but has not been debited since then, and the school fees payment deadline is due. pls what can I do.
thanks in anticipation
What if my name is different from the name on my account and BVN but have a marriage certificate, news paper and court affvidafit charge of mane. Hope my transaction will be granted.
Sure once approved.
I uploaded my form A document, 2 weeks after I contacted my bank and gave them all my documents and my Form A application but its been a total of 3 weeks now and it is still on ABD_Reviewer I contacted my bank and they said all documents are uploaded . If I cancel via GTbank please what other bank can you recommend?
‘To get the AF number you will send to your bank after filling and submitting the Form A online, just login, go to Form A and select history’.
Please how will the AF number be sent to my bank.
Thanks for your very useful guidance on paying of school fees abroad.
Log in your account online.
Please, do I have to fund my the account that I want to use form A with my school fees before the form A gets approved or can I fund it after the form A gets approved