Are you interested in knowing the requirements to change the BVN name, date of birth, phone number, and email address online?
If YES, this article is only what you need to read today.
What is the Bank Verification Number?
The Bank Verification Number (BVN) is an 11-digit unique identity for every bank customers in Nigeria.
The Central Bank of Nigeria introduced the Bank Verification Number to:
- Decrease illegal banking transactions in the country.
- Curb fraud in the banking industry.
- Ensures one can engage securely in transactions at any point of banking operations in Nigeria.
As proscribed by the Federal Government of Nigeria, you may not have two BVN with different names since BVN is attached to each account and can be used in multiple banks by the same customer.
Your BVN name is accepted by all the banks you are banking with.
So, once you use a different name apart from the one in your BVN, it’s likely that the bank will suspend your account until the name is changed to match with the name on your BVN.
You can’t be scammed if someone only has your BVN.
For safety, ensure your bank-registered phone number is with you, your ATM card, and all your secret bank details remain with you only.
How to Get Bank Verification Number
Here are the steps to enroll for BVN in Nigeria:
- Visit any Bank branch and complete the enrolment form.
- Your biometric data (fingerprint, photograph and signature) will be captured on the system.
- You will then receive a Ticket ID.
- BVN will be sent to your registered mobile number.
These banks in Nigeria allow correction and update of BVN details:
- Access Bank Plc
- Ecobank Nigeria Plc
- Fidelity Bank Plc
- First Bank of Nigeria Limited
- First City Monument Bank Plc
- Guaranty Trust Bank Plc
- Heritage Bank
- Keystone Bank Limited
- Polaris Bank Limited
- Stanbic IBTC Bank Plc
- Standard Chartered
- Sterling Bank Plc
- Union Bank of Nigeria Plc
- United Bank for Africa Plc
- Unity Bank Plc
- Wema Bank Plc
- Zenith Bank Plc
Reasons for BVN Details Change
Reasons for changing or updating BVN details include:
- Lost phone number that can no longer be retrieved.
- An error or omission during the Bank Verification Number (BVN) registration.
- Having various names in several accounts.
- Incorrect Date of Birth.
- Error in BVN name arrangement.
BVN Name Change Requirements
Here are the eligibility requirements for name change on BVN:
- National Identification Card, Voters Card or International Passport
- BVN Number
- Account Name
- Newspaper Publication
- Date of Birth
- Court Affidavit
- Name you wish to change which must appear in the Newspaper Publication and Court Affidavit
Newspaper Publication and Affidavit
You can do a newspaper publication displaying the correct name plus an affidavit.
This concern men and single women that carelessly used different names at several banks to open accounts.
Head to a court of competent jurisdiction and apply for an affidavit with your desired name.
The name should be on a national daily.
Have a copy of the publication to present to your bank and you are done.
Marriage Certificate and Newspaper Publication
This one is only for married women who no longer use their father’s last name and now use that of their husbands in account opening.
Here, you will need to present your marriage certificate showing your desired name and a newspaper published copy.
You might also need to present your ID card in some scenarios.
How to Correct BVN Date of Birth Online
You can’t change your BVN name, date of birth, and number online.
Follow these due legal processes to do so:
- Go to a court of competent jurisdiction with a suitable ID card and get an affidavit.
- Publish the same in a national daily/newspaper for a token.
- Buy the paper and forge ahead to the bank.
- You will be given a BVN correction form to fill alongside a customer information update as the case applies.
It takes a maximum of three weeks to change the name, date of birth, and number on BVN.
If it exceeds the three weeks and no changes occurred on your BVN, kindly visit the customer care unit of your bank.
BVN Date of Birth Change Requirements
Here are the eligibility requirements to change the BVN date of birth:
- National Identification Number (NIN), Voters Card or International Passport
- Wrong Date of Birth
- Birth Certificate
- Correct Date of Birth
- Account Name
- Court affidavit
How to Change Date of Birth on BVN
Here are the steps to change the date of birth on BVN:
- Visit the bank in which the BVN was registered.
- At the bank, navigate to the customer care desk and make your request.
- Provide the requirements mentioned above and fill in the correction form you’ll be given.
- Having filled the form, you are expected to return the incidence/correction form.
- The maximum working days for the resolution is 120 hours, equivalent to 5 working days.
The BVN portal is the online platform provided by the respective banks and regulatory authorities where customers can access and manage their BVN information.
To access your BVN portal, visit the official website of your bank or contact your bank directly for guidance.
You will be provided with the instructions, login credentials, and support related to managing your BVN.
Affidavit for Change of Date of Birth in BVN
Creating an affidavit for a change of date of birth in your BVN would typically require the involvement of legal professionals or authorities.
Consult with a lawyer or visit your bank for specific guidance on the process and requirements for changing your date of birth in your BVN.
The above affidavit images were gotten from icirnigeria.org and should not substitute proper legal advice.
The specific requirements and procedures for changing the date of birth in your BVN may vary depending on the jurisdiction and the policies of your bank.
Consult with legal professionals or the relevant authorities to ensure compliance with the processes and documentation.
How to Link BVN with Bank Account
Here are the steps to link your bank account with BVN:
- Login into bank Internet banking.
- Choose BVN Linker from the left-hand panel.
- Tap “New Request.”
- From the drop-down menu, enter your BVN.
- Choose the Nigerian Bank where your BVN was issued.
- Answer your “Secret Question” and continue.
For Diaspora Customers with BVN Problems
For Nigerians in the diaspora who have BVN problems, and wish to effect a change of name, date of birth, or phone numbers on BVN, contact your bank/account officer and avail your documents.
The bank would review this and update your details.
Sometimes, human errors can lead to documenting wrong details when one is applying for BVN.
Most times, though, it is because we cannot supply the right information and the bank will have no choice but to follow the signed mandate from the customers.
Your Bank Verification Number (BVN) and registrations have to be free of errors and hitches to avoid the freezing of accounts due to wrong spelling, omission, and a disparity between names.
In case of errors, use the provisions in this post to make changes and correct your details.
Good luck as you change your BVN today!