Do you want to know how to login, link account, deposit, and withdraw money from PayPal to MPESA today?
If YES, then this is the only post to read today.
What is MPESA PayPal?
This is a service offered to users in Kenya with registered MPESA accounts, Google accounts and Android devices by TransferTo in partnership with Safaricom and PayPal.
MPESA is a mobile banking service that was introduced by Vodafone and Safaricom that allows users to store, receive, and transfer money through their mobile phones.
The service is widely used in Kenya and has since expanded to Afghanistan, DRC, Egypt, Ghana, Lesotho, Mozambique, South Africa, and Tanzania.
To use this service, you need to have a registered PayPal and MPESA account.
To register a PayPal account visit (www.paypal.com) and to register for MPESA, visit any agent outlet across Kenya.
Because this is a collaboration between a Kenyan mobile money payment solution provider and an American big name doesn’t mean there won’t be charged for the services you use and enjoy. You can be charged up to 3% for conversion fees whenever you process withdrawals.
You can also be charged up to 4% when you deposit from KES to USD.
How to Link MPESA Account to PayPal (Existing PayPal Accounts)
- Enter your primary PayPal Account’s email address.
- Enter the phone number registered for MPESA.
- Accept terms and conditions.
- Enter the 4-digit confirmation code sent from Safaricom to the mobile number associated with your MPESA account and click to confirm.
How to Link MPESA Account to PayPal (New PayPal Accounts)
- Visit the PayPal website at www.paypal.com then click on ‘Sign Up’ top right of the page and follow instructions.
- Log in to your PayPal Account.
- Enter your MPESA account phone number.
- Accept terms and condition.
- Enter the 4-digit confirmation code sent from Safaricom to the mobile number associated with your MPESA account.
Please note that whenever you try to add financials, the details of both MPESA and PayPal accounts should match such as name, address, phone, etc.
If there is any discrepancy, there could be any errors.
How to Withdraw from PayPal to MPESA
Here are the steps to withdraw from PayPal to your MPESA account online:
- Login to MPESA App, select TRANSACT-> GLOBAL tab and select the PayPal – MPESA service.
- You will be prompted to enter your PayPal account e-mail address and Password to access your PayPal account.
- Your available balance will be displayed. You will only be able to withdraw money up to the available USD balance shown in your PayPal account. If you hold a balance in your PayPal account in a different currency, please log in to your PayPal account at paypal.com/ke and convert your balance into USD.
- Enter the amount you would like to withdraw from your PayPal account in USD.
- You will be redirected to a page showing the amount to be received in KES, the exchange rate used for the currency conversion, and the estimated transaction processing time.
- Confirm and complete the withdrawal of funds
- The Withdraw transaction will be reflected as a send payment instruction by you from your PayPal account (customer as sender) to your MPESA wallet (Safaricom as recipient).
How to Top Up Funds to PayPal from MPESA Account
The top up service to PayPal allows you to top up funds from your qualifying MPESA account to your linked PayPal account to shop online or make payments with PayPal.
- Log on to the MPESA PayPal web page (link) and select Top Up funds
- Enter the amount to top up in USD and click ‘calculate’ to get the equal converted amount in Kes. to be transferred from your MPESA account. (Exchange rate used will be displayed on the same page)
- Go to your MPESA menu and select ‘Lipa na MPESA’ then ‘Pay Bill’ option
- Enter Business no. 800088
- Enter your phone number as Account No.
- Enter the Amount in Kes.
- Enter your MPESA PIN and send.
You will then receive an SMS confirming that xx USD was added to your PayPal balance.
You can also check the transaction on the Transaction History page.
What is the Maximum Amount I can Withdraw or Top Up?
Current MPESA transaction limits apply. (Kes. 70,000 per transaction and Kes. 140,000 per day.)
What are the Daily Transaction Limits?
Transactions are subject to the applicable daily limits on your PayPal and MPESA accounts.
Current MPESA transaction limits apply (150,000 KES per transaction and 300,000 KES per day.
Withdrawal/Top up Service Charges
- For withdrawal – 3% of the amount converted from USD to Kes.
- Top up – 4% of the amount you are sending to your PayPal account.
Normal MPESA charges apply for all other transactions.
The funds will be processed to your MPESA account in 2 hours to 3 calendar days after transaction confirmation, depending on the value of the transaction.
When the funds have been credited to your account, you will receive a confirmation SMS from MPESA and an email from PayPal.
Challenges of PayPal to MPESA Withdrawal
- Card rejection issue.
- Hefty service fees.
- Held payments.
- Inability to complete transactions.
- Non-local support. There is no dedicated support team to cater to the specific regional needs of PayPal users in Africa.