Do you want to learn how to apply for new, reissue, or renew your FRSC driver’s license in Nigeria online?
If YES, then this is the only post to read today.
Driver’s License Renewal in Nigeria
The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) ensures that road users abide by the rules and regulations and meet the requirements for using an automobile.
One of those requirements is having a driver’s license.
The driver’s license carries an expiration date, which means you’ll have to renew after a period – usually 5 years.
So, you don’t have to worry as you’ll learn how to renew your driver’s license online in Nigeria today.
Why do you need to renew your driver’s license?
- You can get fined up to ₦10,000 or even more if you are caught driving without the license.
- Your driver’s license can serve as a means of identification.
- A driver’s license validates your movement on the road as a vehicle owner in the country of Nigeria.
- Quite many people have gotten delayed or their important appointments and some have even got their vehicles seized because of this important card called a driver’s license.
That’s why it’s important to go for a rental even before your license expires.
Apply for Renewal
- The holder of a valid license may apply for and get a renewal of the license from 30 days before the expiry date of the license.
- Applicants apply and complete the form online, make payment, confirm payment at Board or Internal Revenue, proceed to VIO for test and visit FRSC Driver’s License Centre for Biometric Capture.
Apply for Reissue
- A re-issue or replacement of a license can be issued if the license is illegible, defaced, lost, or stolen. The applicant shall apply to the authority after getting police extract stating details of the loss, damage, or defacement, swearing an affidavit stating the fact of the loss, damage, or defacement, and paying the prescribed fee.
Apply for New Driver’s License
Use this option if you are applying for a license for the first time.
- Applicant must be 18 years and above.
- Applicant must have completed driving school.
Driver’s License Process
- Complete the driver’s license application form online.
- Visit VIO for the driving test.
- Pay the license fee online or at the Bank.
- Confirm payment at the State BIR Office.
- Proceed to the FRSC Officer at the DLC for biometric data capture.
- Visit your DLC/MLA/VIO and present your application form or temporary card to pick up your original license card.
Payment for an application is started and can be completed in the Application Acknowledgment section of your application form.
You must choose a preferred payment option. The options include:
- Pay at bank (cash)
- Web option (with debit/credit card)
- Making payment Using eWallet
To track the status of your application, select the Track DL Application Status option on the portal menu.
You must supply your application ID or DL Number and Date of Birth to access the status.
Follow these steps to get the new driver’s license as a fresh applicant:
- Visit an accredited driving school, and complete the mandatory driver’s training.
- Get a driving school certificate number from the accredited driving school to be used to start a fresh application.
- Access the nigeriadriverslicense.frsc.gov.ng, click on DL Application tab and select New Driver’s License Application.
- Provide your Certificate Number (Which is the number on the certificate provided from the driving school attended) and click on submit.
- Fill in your application details and submit and make payment.
How do I pay for the New Driving License?
Payment for the new license can either be made online on the application portal or at any of the participating banks.
- There might be other charges depending on the payment channel selected.
- Where the applicant applies for multiple classes, each class will be charged separately.
For the driver’s license renewal in Nigeria, many people prefer going to the physical office because they believe a face-to-face interaction makes it faster and is more reliable.
But it’s worthy to note that the online process takes less time, and you can apply or submit all that is required, from the comfort of your home.
Since the driver’s license lasts 4-5 years, you can go for a renewal 4 weeks before the month of expiration.
You wouldn’t be required to do much in the office since you have done most of the application process online.
After you have successfully submitted the required documents at the FRSC office, you’ll be requested to come back to the same office in 90 days to collect your renewed driver’s license.
The office gives you a letter that covers your movement while your license has been sorted.