Obviously, it is quite essential to keep track of your MTN airtime and data subscriptions balance.
However, if you’re unable to do so, do not worry, this article will take you through it.
Aside from discussing how to check MTN airtime and data balance, this article explains MTN airtime transfer, internet settings and lots more.
Patiently go through to know the simplest ways you can go about all the above.
Meanwhile, let’s discuss how to check your MTN airtime balance.
MTN Airtime Balance Checker
Here are the best ways to check your MTN airtime balance using your mobile phone.
1. USSD Code
To check your MTN airtime balance using the USSD code, dial *556# (for prepaid) and *558# (for postpaid).
Your balance will immediately pop up on your screen and an SMS with your airtime balance will be sent to you also, just after dialing the USSD code.
The service is free.
2. MyMTN App
MyMTN App is the official app of MTN Nigeria.
The app can be used for a variety of self-services — airtime balance checks inclusive as well.
If you have the mobile app already, just open it and you’ll see your airtime balance, as well as your data balance.
However, if you don’t have the app already, follow these steps:
- Download and install MyMTN App from the Google play store or the App store.
- Launch it on your device and provide the required information. Open it and you’ll see your airtime balance.
If you use any of the above-listed methods and you’re not satisfied, then check out this list of codes that are available to check the bonus balance on MTN.
MTN Bonus Balance Checker
|MTN Bonus||USSD Code|
|Mobile Data Bundle||*131*4#|
|SME Data Share||*461#|
|GoodyBag Social Bundle||*559*25#|
|Roaming and International Offer||*559*82#|
MTN Airtime Transfer (MTN Share)
MTN Share is a service that allows you to transfer airtime from your MTN account to other MTN customers’ accounts.
This service is absolutely free!
All new and existing prepaid and postpaid customers on the MTN network can make use of the MTN share.
However, to transfer airtime, you must change the default PIN, which is 0000.
How to Change MTN Share PIN
Here are the steps to change MTN Share PIN:
- Dial *777# on your mobile phone.
- Select 2 (Change PIN).
- Enter the Default PIN as Old PIN (0000), and input your desired PIN as New PIN.
Also, dial *777*Default PIN (0000) *New PIN* New PIN# on your phone.
Immediately after you change your PIN, you’ll be informed through an SMS whether it was successfully changed or not.
MTN Airtime Transfer
Here are the steps to transfer MTN airtime using your mobile phone.
- Dial *777#
- Select 1 (Transfer Airtime)
- Enter the recipient’s number, followed by the amount you wish to transfer, and your transfer password.
When the transfer has been completed, you will receive a message informing you if the transfer was successful.
- You can only transfer in Naira amounts and not in kobo, with a maximum of ₦100,000 daily transactions.
- You can only transfer between ₦50 – ₦5,000 in a single transaction.
MTN Data Balance Checker
Here are the best ways to check your MTN data balance using your mobile phone.
1. USSD Code
Using USSD code to check your MTN data balance is by far one of the simplest methods.
- Dial *131*4# to check your data balance using the USSD code.
- You can also dial *559*4# and your data balance will be displayed on your screen, including your bonuses, if you have any.
This method may not be that popular, but it is actually one way you can use to check your MTN data balance.
- Open the ‘Message’ app on your mobile phone
- Simply text ‘BALANCE’ or ‘STATUS’ to 131 and your data balance will be quickly sent to you.
Also, SMS ‘2’ to 131 with your MTN SIM and you will receive a text containing your data balance.
3. MyMTN App
Open the mobile app, or download it on the play store or app store if you do not have one.
Your data balance and your other account details are displayed prominently when the app opens.
MTN Internet Settings
You need the right settings on your device in order to enjoy high internet speed.
Having the wrong configuration may mean slow internet.
Simply text SETTINGS to 3888 and your MTN internet settings will be sent to you via SMS.
Quickly save the settings as soon as they are delivered, and that’s it! It is also free.
If your phone doesn’t support automatic configuration, you may have to do it yourself, as outlined below:
- Go to the Settings app
- Click More Network or Mobile Network
- Click Access Point Name (APN)
- Click MTN GPRS or MTN WEB
Then do these depending on your phone type.
For Smartphones and Devices (Android, iOS, MiFi)
- Account Name: MTN WEB
- APN: web.gprs.mtnnigeria.net
- Feature Phones (WAP settings)
- Account Name: MTN WAP
- IP Address (Proxy): 10.199.212.2
- Port: 9201
- Username: web
- Password: web
If you still have challenges setting up your phone, call the MTN customer care line, which is 180.
MTN is the largest telecoms operator currently in Nigeria, by subscriber number.
As a truly innovative telecoms operator, it has made available some USSD codes, making it easier for its customer to easily access its many services.
I hope this guide has proven to be resourceful in your quest to access some of MTN’s many services.
If you still have some questions regarding how to check your MTN airtime and data balance, internet settings, or you’re experiencing any difficulty, comment below.